Friday, December 30, 2011

Since I MIssed Merry Christmas.....

I will begin by wishing you all a very Happy New Year! 
A few weeks ago I helped my dad organize the little back room of the garage. It's where my mom had stored all of the boxes full of Christmas decorations. I emptied the room, swept it clean and then, before I put everything back in, I peeked inside the boxes to make sure that nothing was living inside of them. You know, spiders and the like. Each box held memories of Christmases past, including the discovery of some things I had made for my mom way back in the day. 


Little paper people made with scissors and a hole punch. There was no such thing as a Cricut back in 1987 when I made these! Some of them had been eaten by silverfish but these four survived. I had actually forgotten about them.


A Santa doll stuffed into a jeans pocket and decorated with bits and bobs that were kept in my craft box. Back then that's all I had- a box. Now I have a whole room and I still gravitate back to the same simple things that I have always used- scissors, a hole punch, paint, ink, cotton balls, Qtips and two paint brushes. I'm pretty simple.


I made these mittens the same year I made the Santa- 1992. They are wool and decorated with fabric paint. I made a ton of these and sold them in a neighborhood craft show for $3 a pair. I loved doing things like that.

Along with my trip down memory lane I spent time working on a Christmas present for the oldest boy. He writes poetry and for his gift I put them all in a book and painted around each one.


There are 46 poems altogether.


Each one beautiful in its own way.


I learned a lot about him while reading his poems and deciding what to paint. The painting part was a challenge for me. But, after the first two or three poems, I found myself stretching myself creatively. I think it's because I was so inspired by his poems.


He's pretty talented, that kid. Pretty talented. :)

2 comments:

Whimsey Creations said...

And he must get his talent from his mom! Wow - I didn't know you could paint like that...beautiful!

Thimbleanna said...

Where did the month (and year!) go??? You've made such cute ornaments -- isn't it fun to re-discover them? And you know the saying...The Acorn doesn't fall far from the tree ... I think we all know where that boy gets his talent from!