Saturday, December 31, 2011

Keep Your Eye On The Pie

The boy left this morning to go back to Texas. I really do not like saying good-bye to that kid. I miss him already. Last night I made him two apple pies to take back. Nothing like celebrating the New Year with a little bit of home, huh? Better than what the mess will offer, I'm sure.


One of the perks of making pies is using up the leftover pie dough. When my grandmother would come to visit the thing we looked forward to the most was the little pinwheels she would make while the pie was baking. She would roll out the dough very thin, spread it with melted butter, sprinkle on some sugar and give a dusting of cinnamon. Then she would roll it up, slice it into pieces, set the pinwheels on a baking sheet, pop them into the oven and thirty minutes later greedy little hands would grab them off the plate tossing them back and forth until they were cool enough to eat. I made some last night and ate them for breakfast this morning. They were delicious. 
I've been thinking about this New Year that will arrive tomorrow and what it will bring. The past few New Years I have chosen a word to focus on instead of making resolutions that I knew I would not keep. Last year's word was Appreciate and this year, my chosen word is Enough. 
I have been greatly blessed throughout this past year with good things- the safety of my son, my beautiful granddaughter and her sweet parents who are raising such a joyful child, watching JA grow in responsibility as he undertook his tasks at work with enjoyment and helping my dad in more ways than he will know, my good husband, dear friends who are there no matter what, family that loves me and that I miss, a place where I can be creative, understanding how much I am truly loved by my Heavenly Father and the Savior.
I got to meet two adorable people that I had only known through my computer screen. I love these women, their creative genius and their outlooks on things. They just make me happy.
There is much more, of course. Too much to list here but, suffice it to say, I did appreciate every day that 2011 brought for me. And now, for 2012, I will focus on Enough and all that it encompasses. 
Enough comes with Gratitude tagging along beside it. They are inseparable. I have so much to be grateful for and I have discovered that the most simple of things are really all that I need. 
Happy New Year, dear friends. I hope that your 2012 is all that you desire to be.

3 comments:

Whimsey Creations said...

Right back at ya Karin. I hope you have a most blessed new year. Hugs!

monix said...

Happy New Year to you, too, dear Karin. What a lovely word to focus on in 2012. Mind if I join you?
Maureen x

Thimbleanna said...

OhMyGosh -- now how am I going to remember that pie crust tip??? That's pure genius -- I really hate throwing all of those pie crust scraps away -- Thank You for sharing that tip!!!

I LOVE this post! (And not just 'cause I'm in it LOL.) Meeting you was a highlight of my 2011 -- you're such a SWEETHEART! If only we were neighbors. {Sigh.} I love your new word too.

Happy, Happy New Year Karin! I look forward to seeing your 2012 inspiration!!!