Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hand to Mouth

I have a closet full of cans filled with wheat kernels. It's part of our food storage and I thought it was about time I put it to good use. My children bought me a new kitchen island for my birthday. It's lovely. Shiny stainless steel shelves, butcher block top, a place to tuck away stools and, most importantly, a nice little spot for my wheat grinder.


Up until yesterday this wheat grinder has been living on a small microwave cart in my bedroom. Don't ask. It's been unusable because the cart was much too flimsy and would not hold up to constant grinding. It's quite a workout, grinding wheat. No electric powered motor here, I use good old-fashioned woman power.


Grind, crack. Grind again. Grind again. It's a process that makes my arms hurt and sweat break out on my brow. And, I love it. Why?


Because I am making food for my family. This flour will become pancakes and bread. Freshly ground flour has an amazing taste. Full, nutty and rich, there's nothing like it. That I get to be a part of the entire process of making food is a simple joy that makes my heart sing.
Plus, it's really good exercise!

5 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a loving thing to do..and love will fill the bread and the pancakes too...I'm sad to say I've nver tasted freshly ground wheat..bet it's GREAT!

The Feathered Nest said...

You are so amazing Karin!!!! Such a good mama....all I do is go to the w-mart bakery! I love that you're making your own flour ~ hugs and love, Dawn

Miz Karen said...

I have also ground my own wheat kernels. Someone at work gave me 10 pounds and I have ground most of it up. Still have some kernels in the freezer to keep them fresh.
I did not have a grain mill to grind so I bought a top dollar large coffee grinder that would grind very fine. Worked great, but can only do a couple cups at a time.

Best tasting bread, great grandkids love it. Haven't tried it on pancakes yet.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow. No electricity? You're wonderful. And your new island sounds fantastic. I'll bet your kitchen smells wonderful when you're baking bread!

hapi said...

Hi madrekarin, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!