Tuesday, May 3, 2011

One.....................Point Five

One thing about raising chickens- they can be pretty unpredictable. One week you're getting eggs every day and the next you get one, or none. Or, they go through a moult and you go without for a couple of months. 
Or, sometimes, you get little surprises. Very little surprises.
 Like these:


Aren't they adorable? This week we've been getting 1.5 eggs per day. I think that it's Mavis who is laying the tiny eggs. The only reason I think that is because, when they started laying, Mavis was the only one who laid a "test" egg in the nesting box. I have six of them now, collected over the past three years. They are on a shelf in my living room in a nest to keep them safe. I think I want to put them in a shadow box and hang them on the wall. You know me and things teeny-tiny, I love anything that's been miniaturized!
The hubs asked if I was going to crack one open to have a look inside. I don't think so. I love them just the way they are- sweet and special gifts from a sweet and special hen. I'm good with that.

2 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh my goodness! I have never heard of test eggs...and these are simply charming! Are you worried about then going bad? They are sooo teeny-tiny!!

The Feathered Nest said...

I'm so looking forward to my girls laying eggs Karin!! I love the little "testers"...too sweet ~ I haven't forgotten about you at all and your gracious box of goodies, I've been a little home bound but would love to know again the days you will be at the quilt shop :) Thanks so much, hugs and love, Dawn