Sunday, December 5, 2010

Word Nerd.

That's me in a nutshell. I love words. I like the fact that there are words out there that allow you to sum up your thoughts in one fell swoop instead of carrying on and on and on. I make it a point to find new-to-me words, research their definitions and then use them in conversation. It is really great fun.
The other day I was perusing the latest Country Living magazine when I found this:


Lara Robby/Studio D
Journal
Crafted from recycled paper and soy ink, this diary provides a handy spot for jotting down "extraordinary or quotidian thoughts." 

Did you see it? The word of the day?  Quotidian. Go on, say it! What kind of book would be worthy of holding quotidian thoughts? Apparently, this journal. So, if this journal will also hold extraordinary thoughts, what are quotidian thoughts, one might ask. Can you say "Google?" 
Here you go:

quo·tid·i·an

adj \kwō-ˈti-dē-ən\

Definition of QUOTIDIAN

1
: occurring every day <quotidian fever>
2
a : belonging to each day : everyday <quotidian routine> b : commonplace, ordinary <quotidian drabness>
quotidian noun
See quotidian defined for English-language learners »

Examples of QUOTIDIAN

  1. quotidian quarrels that other couples had, they had rows that shook the entire neighborhood>
  2. quotidian coughing fit, the result of years of smoking>

Origin of QUOTIDIAN

Middle English cotidian, from Anglo-French, from Latin quotidianus, cotidianus, from quotidie every day, from quot (as) many as + dies day — more at deity
First Known Use: 14th century
 In other words, those things that you do every single day such as washing dishes, sweeping the floors, brushing your teeth, making the beds, cooking dinner and every other thing that occurs on a daily basis are quotidian. But how much better do they sound when attached to such a glorious word? I rather think it elevates the mundane into something much more admirable. Journal-worthy, if you will.
Now all I need to do is find a way to work this new word into a conversation. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Whimsey Creations said...

Hmmmm...It won't be a completely quotidian day for me at work tomorrow. And although I created today, my creations were not quotidian. LOLOLOL How's that? Don't you love those kinds of words? And ewwwww goody - a new one for Scrabble using the "Q"!

BENVANA said...

This word comes from Latin and it is similar in French and Spanish, where it's usage is much more quotidian than in English :-).
It is still used frequently in medical abbreviations, as a "q" meaning daily.

monix said...

What a lovely word. I'm going to try it out on my husband right now when I tell him we will be having a quotidian lunch. How disappointed he'll be to find it is soup, just like every other day!

PS the word verification is "dingless" which sounds rather quotidian too!