Tuesday, November 2, 2010

It's a Good Thing I Don't Live In England!

Why? Because I would be as fat as a Suffolk pig, that's why!
 My friend, Cilla, sent over a hazelnut plum cake (she had made two- how fortuitous!) to rescue me from an I-didn't-have-time-to-make-dessert moment the other night. One taste and I was loathe to share it! This is so good- moist, plummy and crunchy in all the right spots. Delicious.
Cilla found the recipe while she was back home in England helping her mother recover from hip surgery. And then she brought it home. And shared. Oh, my!


 This has been my breakfast for the past few days-  a large mug of hot chocolate and a wedge of plum cake. Today I ate the last piece. My hips were singing notes of gratitude as I took what they knew to be the last bite.


But, then, I went over to Marie's blog to find that she had posted this the other day!

 A simple almond cake? I don't think so. It is deceptive in its innocent dusting of confectioner's sugar. Ladled with an apricot compote, as suggested by Marie, and it transforms into something much more seductive. I did not copy this recipe. But, once again, I am faced with temptation, this time by Maureen! Ack!


Really? This is comfort food at its best. Homemade desserts ready to fill and warm any tummy in need of a little sumthin'-sumthin'. If I lived in England, I think I would be a balloon. A balloon full of cake.

3 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Can I go with you on your "no dessert left behind" tour?? Yum-OOOO! Did you get the plum cake recipe??

monix said...

Oh Karin, it's the only way to survive our English weather! It isn't too bad if you can remember that the pudding should serve twelve and not just a couple of greedies! But then, the memory isn't always reliable in our house.

Whimsey Creations said...

Oh Ciiillllaaaaa - I don't have time to make dessert either - hint, hint, snort, snort!