Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sweet Things

What kind of cupcake would make my father have this look of confusion on his face?


 And then tuck into it like he hadn't eaten in weeks?


The fact that this was no ordinary cupcake. It was a Pumpkin Pie cupcake, 
complete with a tiny pumpkin pie nestled inside!
See?


My friend, Susan, posted about them on her blog this past Friday. She found the recipe here. The minute I saw them I knew I had to make them. How could I not? They are adorable and sneaky with their little bits of pumpkin custard and flaky crust. Plus, they are delicious!
Now, I wonder how my dad will feel about apple pie cupcakes with vanilla bean icing, or blueberry pie cupcakes with lemon icing, or peach pie cupcakes with a cinnamon spice icing, or , well, you get the picture.
While they are a bit labor intensive, they are totally worth the effort. Plus, the look on the faces of those who take a bite is priceless. Priceless, I tell you!
Oh, and while your at Susan's blog, be sure to read her interview with the brilliant Susan Branch. It is just lovely.

7 comments:

Whimsey Creations said...

Oh YUM! Oh darn! Something else to put the weight on. Now I'm going to have to try this - I LOVE pumpkin anything.

wendy said...

Sounds delicious!!! I'll have to give it a try. I also love pumpkin!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a cutie your Dad is..and looks like he enjoyed the treats! I'm heading over to her blog and thanks for sharing this find with us :-)

Thimbleanna said...

What cute pictures of your dad! Hmmmm....I might be puzzled having pie and cake in the same bite. I suspect the frosting would cure it all though -- such fun!

Miz Karen (the Other Karen) said...

So glad to see this recipe. I have to make dessert on Monday for my women's Bible study group, and this will be perfect!

Amy said...

oh. my. word. i have to have these!

Miz Karen (the other Karen) said...

I made the cupcakes for my Bible study group and they loved them. We are studying Beth Moore's Esther. Seemed appropriate to have cupcakes with a hidden secret since there were secrets in the study.