Saturday, October 16, 2010

Estate Sale Saturday

My dad and I went to an estate sale this morning. The house was incredible. Built in 1842, you could tell that in its heyday it was beautiful. It hearkens to New England architecture and fittingly so as the architect came from Connecticut and the original owner from Massachusetts. All around the house and grounds the smallest details combine to make an amazing whole.
Dad and I bought a few things but, mostly, we were totally wrapped up in the story of the house. Here's a few photos so that you can see for yourself.


 Beautiful wrought iron fencing surrounded trees and courtyards.


 One of the hand-grained door panels. Seriously? Just amazing!


Mantelpieces so soft and creamy they were like silk.


The front porch and a clear blue sky.


 Oh, look! There's Dad and John!


 I want shutters like these on my front windows. And they must be green.


 And screen doors that are slightly and perfectly askew.


The entry into the side courtyard. It's a lovely little sitting area surrounded 
by what must have been an extraordinary garden.


Old trees, crooked with age, beckoning you to travel down the pathways.


Don't let the appearance of this sweet stone root cellar fool you. It was quite malodorous!


 Privy, anyone?


 It's a perfect fit for two!


 Entering into this log cabin meant taking your life in your hands. The floors were rotting through and there was stuff piled up everywhere. I'm pretty sure that something was living in the piles, so I quickly made an exit.


 An old hay rake, rusty and forlorn, waits patiently beside a tree to be enlisted into work once again.


 What a sight this gazebo must have been in its time.


 Details of the stairway leading to the three upstairs bedrooms.


 This is Jerry, whose father owned this house. He was an absolute delight to talk to, possessing a wealth of knowledge about the place that he once called home. It's being sold and you can see the sadness in his eyes as he speaks about it. I hope that someone who loves history buys this house and restores it to its former glory. It would be only fitting.


And right. 

3 comments:

wendy said...

What a beautiful home! I love hearing the history of old houses.I especially like old iron fences and the outside gardens. I agree I bet they were beautiful! Well it looks like you all had a good time!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh, if those walls could talk! What a grand place! how fun..thanks for taking us along :-)

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- I was with you until the malodorous part LOL. Ok, I was with you for the whole thing -- what a place of beauty. How sad that time marches on and things must be sold. Thanks for the beautiful pictures -- I love seeing grand old homes!