Sunday, September 5, 2010

Down On the Farm


I recently discovered that there is a farm not far from me that sells milk (for pets), eggs, honey and, occasionally, fresh chickens. Yesterday was butchering day which means that this little chickie here was running around the field yesterday morning. Today, it is on my dinner table.
I took my dad and my son with me to pick up the five chickens I had ordered. Cabot, my dad's Boston Terrier, joined us and he and Dad had a nice romp around the farm, with Cabot seeing his first cows and pigs ever. He's used to chickens. Mine like to peck around the fence between my parent's house and mine causing Cabot much anxiety. Silly dog.
The farm was clean and tidy when we arrived. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised at how calm it was. We were all very impressed. There was quite a line of people gathered to pick up their future dinners. One woman had ordered ten chickens! I might do that the next time because this chicken is delicious! Tender and juicy and fresh tasting. Well, it ought to be!
I'm glad that I can support a small, local farmer in his endeavor to provide fresh, healthy food to his neighbors. That, and my girls can rest easy that they will be able to peck and scratch for another day.
If you want to see if there is a small farm near you that provides fresh foods go here- www.localharvest.org Just type in what you're looking for (grass-fed beef, raw milk, local honey, etc.) and add your zip code. Then go meet the person who grew your food. It's a really good feeling. :)

4 comments:

wendy said...

I'm going to check that sight out! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend. Wendy

Thimbleanna said...

I'm going to check it out too -- thanks for the tip! Your chicken looks awesome -- I sure wish I lived on the other side of your backyard. ;-)

Fete et Fleur said...

Thanks for sharing this link. I'll have to check it out. Your chicken looks yummy!!

xoxo
Nancy

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Nice post! We try to support our local farmers here too.
:)