Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Zucchini-oh!

My friend, Joyce, gave me two huge zucchinis from her garden. By huge I mean they looked like baseball bats. She gave them to me with the caveat that they should not be eaten like the tasty squash they are but, instead, needed to be made into zucchini bread. I obeyed.




I am not such a fan of zucchini bread. The few times I've tasted it, it's been rather blah tasting. I searched  Cooks.com and found a recipe I thought might work. It looked easy enough- flour, eggs, oil, sugar and, of course, zucchini.
Since I am trying to get us to eat healthier here in the Smith house, I made some substitutions and additions. It was delicious!! Moist and dense with a perfect crumb. I made two loaves and twenty-four muffins. Oh. My. Goodness. I sent some up the hill to my parent's house. Dad ate two and Mom ate one, which was a miracle because she hasn't been eating much of anything lately. But that's another story.
If you'd like to make some delicious zucchini bread, here's the recipe. You can use the things you have in your pantry instead of the subs that I made. It will be just as tasty.

Zucchini Bread- makes 2 loaves
You can double it and make an additional 24 yummy muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3 eggs
2 cups organic sugar (sub for regular sugar)
3/4 cup organic canola oil (sub for 1 cup vegetable oil)
3 tsp. vanilla
3 1/4 cups spelt flour (sub for all-purpose flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 T ground flax seed (my addition)
1 T chia seed soaked in 1/4 cup water (my addition)
2 cups zucchini, peeled and grated

In a large bowl, mix together eggs and sugar. Add oil and vanilla. Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add in small amounts to wet ingredients, being sure to incorporate them well. Add flax and chia seeds long with any leftover water. Add grated zucchini and mix together well.

Grease (or spray with baking spray) 2 large loaf pans and divide the batter into each. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour ( muffins- 20 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for ten minutes on a rack before removing from the loaf pans. Finish cooling, slice, spread with butter and enjoy!

This is definitely worth growing some bat-sized zucchini!

3 comments:

Marie said...

That's the problem with zucchini, getting them used all up before they become the size of bats!! Thankfully though there are tasty recipes such as this to use up those zucchini bats in! Delicious!! xxoo

Thimbleanna said...

Haha -- bat zucchini -- it seems like most of them end up that way. It looks and sounds delicious -- thanks for sharing the recipe!

Halle said...

I love zucchini bread! I'll have to try this recipe.