Monday, June 28, 2010

Out of the Box!

Family History.
That's the title I gave to my soap box. What started as this:


Became this:


When my sister and i cleaned out the garage at my parent's house, we ran across a box of family photos. Inside was this photo of my grandparent's wedding day. And so it began.....
I covered the box in two layers of tissue paper to add a little more texture. Then I wrapped the entire thing in a very thin, old pillow case with the perfect amount of staining and discoloration. A little tea stained trim, some paper flowers and two small brass rings completed the top of the box.


I stamped the front and back in a floral pattern in gold ink.


A small mother of pearl button forms the closure.


I backed the top cover with heavy paper to support the wedding photo and created a pocket with a stamped tag. Trimmed out with lace and more mother of pearl buttons, it's the perfect spot to place a little tag with the names of the bride and groom and the date of their marriage.



15 September, 1928.


On the opposite side, a "Family" page begins a little accordion-folded book that chronicles bits of my grandparent's lives.


From babies to adults.....


to the arrival of three sons...


My dad, Donald, is on the left. My Uncle Dick is on the right and my Uncle Harry in the middle.


A lifetime folded out...


and tidily kept in a safe place.
I love this little book in a soap box. I keep it on a small table in my living room and find myself opening it often. Every time I do, memories fill my mind and my heart of people that I love.



Thank you, Lisa, for challenging my creativity. It's been a bit lax lately and this was just the boost it needed!

If you click on Lisa's name above, you will see her beautiful bee-inspired soap box and find the links of other's who have participated in this challenge. There are some amazing out-of-the-box creations to be found!

33 comments:

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

Oh my gosh, your box is so sweet ! I love love your idea of pictures ~
Just awesome !
xoxo
Lori

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Karin! It's just beautiful -- what a wonderful family treasure you've created. Great Work!!!

DeeDee said...

what a very sweet thing to make fromthis...I just love it...may have to life the idea....

DeeDee
http://deedeescraftspot.blogspot.com/2010/06/soap-box-challenge.html

Jane said...

I absolutely love how you transformed the soap box. I love family history and I think your project showcases your grandparent's history perfectly!! You have definitely inspired me to create one for my family.
Jane

Fabric Art said...

How very special you have made your soap box, it is so wonderful, love the little book with family pictures.
Anni

Crazy4Art4U said...

Absolutely lovely! You did a beautiful job and I especially love the stamping and the mother of pearl button closure!
Off to visit more creations...
Have a beautiful day,
Beth

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Karin, Your box turned out very sweet and it's just perfect to hold all those lovely family pictures!
Hugs,
Julia
PS: Baby Jude is such a cutie!!!

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Wow Karin...you totally took this challenge to another level...I LOVE IT!
How sweet that your little soap box holds such sweet treasures of your family. This is surely an heirloom and a keepsake.
I just love what you did with it...you are amazing!!!!
:)

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Wow! Wow wow wow wow..simply gorgeous! You did an amazing job - love it! (This post is going into my memory for future projects!!!)

Sue@MyArtsDesire said...

Karin,
This is beyond wonderful! What an heirloom filled with precious memories and family history. It is just gorgeous...every little inch of it. So much interest...love the lacing on the front, the stamped fabric, and on and on. You done did awesome!!! Xo, Sue

The Tin Rabbit said...

OMGoodness, what a precious idea!!! I love this! You have created a heirloom! I want to make one now!

Amy said...

Karin, it is amazing! What a beautiful little box now!

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

I am in Love with Your Family Photo Box ~ this Challenge has been so much fun, I love visiting everyone to see their Ideas ~ Yours Is Priceless....

The Feathered Nest said...

Ohmygoodness girl!!!! I KNEW I would love your creation!!!! This is so gorgeous....what a precious heirloom Karin!!! So many wonderful elements you've used and the closure is perfect. My most favorite thing of all is that your artwork is a personal treasure for you AND your family!! Hugs and love, Dawn

Thespa McLaughlin said...

A lovely box and wonderful album. Thanks for sharing it.

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I adore your little box. May I ask, how did you attach the button...for the closure?

Whimsey Creations said...

Oh Karin it's fabulous! I so want to see it in person. Pretty please bring it when you teach the teacup pincushion class in a couple of weeks. Hugs!

Kris Pare said...

This is simply beautiful heirloom. Thank you so much for sharing!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

What a wonderful keepsake you created. Thanks so much for sharing your heartfelt creation.
xoxo
Donna

Debby said...

WOW!!!! I totally love what you have created filled to the brim with all these treasures. Very creative and oh so beautiful.
Debby

Rebecca said...

Hello
Oh my your box has turned into a precious keepsake! How beautiful you made it and such wonderful creativity! Lovely
Blessings
Rebecca

Sandy Michelle said...

I LOVE how you turned it into an album. What a gorgeous family keepsake!

Sandy xox

Miss Sandy said...

This is beyond gorgeous! What a precious family treasure!

The Homesteading Apartment said...

So lovely and very inspirational! I just found your blog and immediately became a follower! I look forward to reading future posts (:

Michele
XOXO

Dorthe said...

Oh dear,
your box is a little wonder, so great an idea with the fold out family, and it is very beautifull,love your sepia tones, --fantastic.
xo Dorthe

Marie said...

What a fabulous job you did on this. I Just love it!! It's totally gorgeous. xxoo

AmyB said...

Your creation is just lovely. Congrats... you certainly met the challenge! - Amy Bauer

BellaRosa said...

Karen amor, I have to tell you, your little beautiful jewel spoke to my heart...I loved your story and pictures of how your beautiful little creation came to be. I think we all at one moment or another, hold pictures or momentos of someone special in our lives and feel such happiness having that lil link to them even after they are gone from our lived but not our hearts and thoughts. Your grandma especially would have loved this :) Thank you for sharing your beautiful creation with us all :) Have a beautiful week! Besos, Rose

ps...I tried to become a follower but wasn't able to, I will be back another time to try again :)

BellaRosa said...

Oh I am so sorry, I misspelled your name :) Nice to meet you Karin!

clustres said...

Oh my, that is so sweet and wonderful!

C'est Magnifique said...

I love your little box of family history too! What a great idea and the pillowcase is so beautiful!

Tania

Karen Valentine said...

Oh my goodness, the work that went into this!!! It is just gorgeous! Truly an heirloom piece! Who would ever know it was made from a lowly soap box! One of my favorites!!!
xo,
Karen

Halle said...

Very inspired and beautiful!