Monday, June 14, 2010

Love This Monday.

It was a long, hot weekend here in Georgia and, as you know, my sister and I spent it in my parent's garage. That we accomplished as much as we did is a miracle, considering what we were up against. In other words- Dad. Dad who never wants to get rid of anything. Dad who has some very strange attachments to some very strange stuff. Dad who finally gave up and joined in on the fun of having a yard sale. Dad who thanked us when he saw how clean and tidy the garage is now. You're welcome, Dad.
One of the things my sister and I did for ourselves was to eat something healthy for breakfast every day. I made yogurt in my crock pot, bought some beautiful strawberries and blueberries at the farmer's market and made us smoothies for breakfast. Yum. I added a tablespoon of ground flax seed and a couple of teaspoons of these to the mix-


What are they? They're chia seeds! You know, those tiny things you soak in water and smear on a terra cotta pig or clown head. Those chia seeds. I get them at the farmer's market and they are pretty neat little things. Turns out that they are  nutritional powerhouses! Added to our smoothies, we stayed full for a very long time.


I add them to all sorts of foods. They have no flavor but they do add a little crunch, like poppy seeds. The muffins we bought at the farmer's market were delicious. Very dense and moist with a really nice flavor. I am going to try and replicate them.
All in all, chia seeds are pretty versatile and love-worthy. You just have to get used to them swelling up and getting caught between your teeth.

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha -- who knew you could eat those things??? Does this mean you have little chia-pets growing in your stomach??? ;-)

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Chi CHi Chi CHia diet! Now that jingle will be in my head all day!
Good for you with your parent's garage - and good for him for accepting the help AND the organization..so it's a win-win!