Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day.

Every year at the cemetery around the corner from us the workers place a flag at the headstone of every single man or woman who served our country. It is a beautiful and humbling sight to behold.


Flags wave in the breeze and bow when it is still to honor those who sacrificed their comfort and families on our behalf. I am very grateful for each and every one of them and for those who do so today, my son included. (Although he would say that isn't the case as he is still here in the US. Whatever.)
In honor of Memorial Day, I thought I would make a delicious breakfast that is decidedly...Welsh?! Yep.
These are Welsh Cakes. Marie posted the recipe on her blog this morning and I had all the ingredients to make them with the exception of the raisins. Mine had been invaded by ants so I used Craisins instead.
 Oh. My. Gosh!


They are, as Marie says, scrummy! Delicious. Warm. Filling. Yum.


I spread a little butter on top of mine to be sure that the sugar topping really stuck. A bit of gilding the lily, I reckon, but oh so worth it.
Let's make this my Love This! Monday post for this week. Because I really do love these. So much that I ate four. Oink. Oink. (Thanks for sharing this recipe, Marie. They were a hit here at the Smith house.) Pop on over, get the recipe and make some for yourself.
I hope you all have a safe and joyful holiday.

5 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh My Gosh -- I take a little blog break and you have a wedding! Holy Cow! I hope your eye is better by now. And Congratulations to the happy couple -- they look adorable.

As for these Welsh Cakes -- I saw the recipe posted (you are the one who directed me to that fun blog a few months ago - thank you!) and I reeeeealllyyy want to try them -- YUM!

edgesmom said...

Every year the first sight of all those flags always brings a swell of gratitude to my heart and tears to my eyes. This year I am especially touched because Cory is in Afghanistan, as I am sure you are because of Nathan. What a wonderful feeling knowing that we have sons willing to serve our country.

Aunt Jenny said...

Wow...those look wonderful..my kind of treat for sure..I am not a big gooey chocolate or meringue or caramel sort of gal...simple cakes like that sound best. I will be popping over to find the recipe for sure.
I am taking a short break from gardening..then back out to the garden. Your hydrangeas are so pretty!! I am frantically trying to replant my veggies that were killed by that snowstorm on the 24th. Hopefully I am safe now. It is a warm overcast day with lows predicted in the 40's tonight..sounds like great planting weather, right? I do have things ready to cover any vulnerable plants if it starts cooling off too much though.
Have a wonderful week!!

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi sweetie, these cakes look so delish!!!! You always make the best stuff Karin! I hope you had a wonderful Memorial day dear friend...I hope you have a great week as well!!! hugs and love, Dawn

Fete et Fleur said...

It looks like you had the yummiest breakfast. Now I'm going to have to try these.

Nancy