Monday, May 17, 2010

Blinkin' Heck!

Yesterday afternoon I tried to sneak in a little yard work. You know, to prepare for the Big Day. I have a line of hydrangeas on the side of the house that had been ignored just a little too long. Dead branches poked out amongst the new growth and a very aggressive bittersweet vine tangled itself throughout and was heading up toward the sky. Time for them to go.
I successfully cleared hydrangea #1 and #2 of all things unnecessary and was beginning to clear out #3 when I bent over and POKED MYSELF IN THE EYE WITH A DEAD BRANCH! Oh. My. Gosh. It hurt like crazy!
I stumbled up the hill and into the house holding my eye and hoping that it was not bleeding. (it wasn't.) I stood at the sink flushing my eye with cold water (ouch) until I could stand it no longer. I put ice in a Ziploc bag and held it up to my eye only to take it down again because it was too painful! There was no relief to be had for a very long time. I'm talking hours here! Ack.
I went up to my parent's house to let them know what happened and that, quite possibly, I would not be able to drive Mom to the hospital for her test today. (I didn't. Dad did.)
My dad is one of those men who can't leave things alone. He asked to look at my eye, so I took my hand away to let him take a peek. The next thing I know he has pried open my eyelids and is peering in while I am saying, "Let go!" Good night above.
The pain was now magnified to the point that I thought I was going to vomit. What was I going to do?
I'll tell you what I did. I took one of Dad's pain pills, that's what I did. A half a hydrocodone and I was feeling much better! There was a little side effect though. One minute I was fine and the next there was this undulation of light and dark in my eye. I told my kids it was like there was a little man in there with a flashlight searching for something. After that I decided I'd better go to bed. And that is exactly what I did.
I woke up this morning with less pain, the ability to open my eye and clear vision. My eyelid is still swollen from all of the poking and prodding but that will go away in a day or so.
All in all I learned a very big lesson- no matter what Big Day you have coming up, don't do yard work on Sunday. Something will happen that will make you rest as you should have been doing in the first place. Geesh.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness Karin! I hope it heals quickly. I am so glad you didn't do more damage!

monix said...

That sounds painful. Perhaps you should have it checked out as your eyes are very precious.

Michelle said...

OUCH! I hope that you feel much much better by your next post!

Marie said...

Oh my so glad it wasn't serious, but sorry you had to go through it! Sundays are always days of rest for us. My mom always said that every stitch you did on a Sunday you'd have to pick out with your nose at a later date. Silly I know!

Whimsey Creations said...

Oh ouch. Hope you are feeling much better by today.