Monday, April 12, 2010

Takin' A Hike.

My friend, Joyce, and I went to Arabia Mountain on Saturday to get some exercise. There were supposed to be 8 of us but, for one reason or another, it ended up being just Joyce and me. Oh, well!
We had a great time. The weather was perfect and the climb was challenging but tolerable. The fact that I could still talk while I was walking was a miracle. Except for the occasional need for a very deep breath, I did okay on the climb. Joyce exercises much more than I do- for her it was a breeze.
Here are a few photos of the trip. The first is Joyce taking a picture of the diamorpha that is in bloom. It's everywhere and just amazing.


J brought her GPS and the coordinates for a geocache box. Guess who found it? Me! My very first one! It was a thrill. Now I want a GPS and the location of geocache sites so I can find more. :)



Inside the box were a few toys, a log book and pencil, and a little information about the mountain area. Very cool.


Sweet, tiny white flowers that grew in the corner of a rocky area.


Beautiful Carolina Jessamine.



It has a slight licorice scent to it. Heavenly!


A hawk lazily floats the skies.



Imagine the effort it took for the water and wind to create this.


Diamorpha creeping up the mountain.



The view from the top. Ah.


Diamorpha up close and personal. It is the sweetest little flower, don't you think?
I actually did get some exercise in spite of all of the photos I was able to take. The trip took two hours total, including travel to and from the mountain and they were two of the best hours I've spent doing something for me in a long time! If you get the chance, go visit a state park near you. I think you'll be happy you did!

5 comments:

Deborah Jeans Dandelion House ~ inspired living said...

Hi Karin,
What a lovely posting of your hike!
There's nothing quite like taking in nature up close and personal is there? I just love those sweet little pink and white flowers and how they contrast against the hard gray rocks.

We took a SUNDAY STROLL along the beach this weekend and I posted it late last night... grab your flip flops and come on over!

ps. glad to see you got out for a bit. A change of scenery can be most healing in stressful times...:)
Dandelion Wishes,
Deb~

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh it looks like a fabulous day! And anytime with friends, nature and one's self is a near to perfet as can be!

Cathy said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Glad you enjoyed a wonderful outing with a friend :)

Angie said...

Now I wonder why the others didn't go walking?! Sounds like you two had a lovely companionable time. Great photos.

The Feathered Nest said...

My son Brad LOVES Arabia Mountain!!....he's brought me back the most wonderful treasures of nature from there Karin ~ it looks like you had a great time!! It's good to exercise...right?? hugs and love, Dawn