Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Quiltin' Woman

I don't know what's been happening lately, but I've been in a very creative mood- and that's a good thing. Otherwise I'd probably eat and, well, you know what happens then.
A few months ago I took my dad to the VA hospital in Atlanta for a check-up. While we were waiting in the exam room I noticed the design on the wallpaper. It's old and dated but it had such a graphic presence that I sketched it in my Sudoku book. (see below) I added the dark corners to the lower right of the rectangles. Immediately, a quilt design popped into my head!


So, with a little tweaking and a few crumpled pieces of graph paper later, I came up with this:



It isn't the whole design, as I am still writing the pattern. (Although I have copyrighted it.) It's called Va-voom, after the VA hospital that inspired it. This is the quilt:



From a simple sketch of a wallpaper pattern, to graphing it out and calculating fabric amounts and cutting measurements, it took about three months to get it to a somewhat finished quilt. It just needs to be quilted and bound. I love it! It's bright and cheery and has a modern edge to it that belies its source of inspiration.
You never know what you will be inspired by when you're out and about. I think that's the best part of creating- the smallest, simplest things can set your heart and mind aflutter!
So get out there and make something! It's just so much fun. :)

8 comments:

Tilda said...

..ok, so besides the quilt design, AND actually making it.... YOU DO Sudoku????????? Ok, Karen, that is pretty brainy!!! I can't get past ONE block of Sudoku!!!! My nemisis is those drated newspaper crossword puzzles. Supposed to enrich my knowledge of the language..it serves usually to only confuse me more. However, I am addicted. Very impressed, I am. Both with the design and the work!
in fondest.. Tilda

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Karin -- that's awesome. Maybe I should go with my Dad to the VA LOL! It's beautiful!!!

monix said...

Your creative genius leaves me speechless and having to work hard on the envy! It is a fabulous quilt.

wsxwhx727 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

The Feathered Nest said...

Karin, YOU. ARE. AMAZING!!! What a gorgeous quilt and design!! I can't believe that this was inspired by old wallpaper...even your sketch is wonderful girl!! Thank you so much for cheering me on ~ it's time to do something....hope you are having a wonderful week, hugs and love, Dawn

madrekarin said...

I'm blushing. Thank you. :)

Angel Jem said...

(I am speechless in the presence of such creative juicery)


No, really. Very impressed.

Whimsey Creations said...

Beautiful! I love the colors!