Monday, March 1, 2010

So, How's That Redecorating Working For Ya?

Remember the bathroom makeover I started in January? This is it now:


Oh, it gets worse!

Really. I am pathetic.
I just hate picking this paper off. I usually go in the bathroom after my son has taken his shower and pick and peel at the steamed walls until I can do it no longer. Then I wait a few more days for my hands to toughen up and do the whole thing again. I will never put wallpaper up in the bathroom again. Ever. What a chore this has turned out to be.
But, there is some progress (and hope for this little bath yet)- I've chosen paint colors! Lovely, soft paint colors that will soothe my soul and make the bathroom a little more presentable. Don't come to my house asking to use the toilet. You will be refused!
This is what I've chosen:

Paint by Martha Stewart for Home Depot.
The top of the walls will be painted in a color called Morning Fog, a pale blue-green with a hint of grey and the bottom beadboard wainscoting will be done in a color called Seal. Not the one married to Heidi Klum, but the one you will find basking on the rocks in La Jolla. It's a very pretty brownish grey with wonderful depth and warmth.
Maybe now that I've committed to paint, I will be compelled to finish this bath and cross it off my list. Or not.
I told you I'm pathetic.

8 comments:

A Vie Renouvele said...

I feel so bad for you! But the colors you picked are really nice. You'll love it when its done! When we bout our house there was 5 layers of wallpaper on every wall and every ceiling! I tried everything to get it off! What worked the best was to just fill a spray bottle half full of apple cider vinegar, then fill it the rest of the way with warm water. Spray a section of the wall really good. Give it a good soaking. Then wait 5 or 10 minutes for it to soak in and do its magic! I scraped mine off with a wide paint scraper. You just have to be patient enough and let the vinegar water do its job. Best of luck to ya! I'm feeling your pain even after 15 years! Linda

Deborah Jeans Dandelion House ~ inspired living said...

Karin,
You're not pathetic, you just need one of those round wall paper scraper thingies! We did some serious wallpaper removal in our hall way 10 years ago and I swear it was applied with super glue! Anyway, I found this tool at Home Depot for removing stubborn wall paper...It's round and it has teeth in the middle and scrapers on one or both ends.. I can't remember now.. I think I buried it in the back yard when we were finally finished... Anyway the teeth perferate the paper allowing what ever removal solution your using to penetrate better...We still had to fight it to get it off but it helped! Oh, the vinegar and water in the spray bottle idea works too!
Confession: When I saw the first photo I thought you had done some really cool contemporary wall treatment you were excited to share... The decoratorative artists in me see's things. LOL! Anyway, happy wall paper removal... love your new color's. Post when you git r done!

Diva Kreszl said...

oh honey, just hire someone to take down that dreadful paper! love the colors you have chosen,can't wait to see the finished room!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh man! What a job! Your paint colors are beautiful. I had a bathroom once where I couldn't remove the wallpaper (which I realize was different from your pages) and I finally gave up, sanded and spackled where I could to make things smooth and then just painted over the old paper. Good Luck!

science + skeleton said...

a seal ate my phone, i'm not going in there.

madrekarin said...

Hahahahahaha!! That's funny. Just leave your phone at the door. :)You really don't need to take it in the bathroom with you anyway.

Nan said...

I should send you pics of my bathroom! *We* started almost two years ago. Yes, there's a nice, new sink and tub/shower but oh, the walls and the floor are so ugly. The wallpaper and the flooring is off, and you can imagine what we're left with! Tell me about your fan. We're having a terrible time- the walls and ceiling are so wet after showers and the ceiling fan doesn't seem to work at all, even though it is new. Do they work better if they're on an outside wall?

Whimsey Creations said...

Have you tried using fabric softener in really hot water and then spraying (really drenching) the walls? According to those who know - it really works. Especially if you use one of those little round wallpaper dohickies with teeth first to puncture the paper. Good luck and may the force be with you. I detest removing wallpaper!