Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hat Day!

This morning my friend, Jill, opened her home for a day of fun and crafting. Today we made hats and tiny purses out of felted sweaters. I've made larger purses from old wool sweaters, but never a hat.
I should have brought my camera so you could see her adorable studio and even cuter pups! Her dogs are so sweet. You would never guess that from their greeting at the door though!
I made a blue hat with a white flower. This is not it. I gave it to my daughter and she left the house with it, so no picture. But, I made one jiffy quick for my son and I love how it turned out!


A nice chocolately brown hat, perfect for a young man.


The buttons will probably send him over the edge and searching for a pair of scissors, but I like how they look. Just the right touch without being overdone.

The hats we made this morning were hand stitched together using either an overcast stitch or a blanket stitch. (I used the blanket stitch.) For Nathan's hat, I simply rammed it through the sewing machine outfitted with a heavy duty needle. Rammed? Yes. The sweaters can be very bulky and sometimes the hat needed a little muscle behind it to get through.

I love these hats. They are cute and warm and functional. They also allow for tons of creative playing. I wish you could have seen the hats that were made. Mine was the only solid color hat. The rest of the girls used five different sweater pieces to construct theirs and boy were they cute!

Thank you, Jill, for such a great Saturday morning. The rest will all pale in comparison. :)

Oh, the purse! I still have to finish mine and then I will share it with you!

4 comments:

Marie said...

What an adorable hat! I love it! Very masculine. I bet the coloured ones and the blue one were very pretty. I can't wait to see your purse!

Whimsey Creations said...

Thanks Karin - so glad you could be there - it was a fun morning!

Cathy Cobblestone said...

It's awesome Karin - but then again - you can do anything!!! And didn't you love that video of the Invisible Woman. I watched that last week and was very moved by it. Have fun craftin' my friend. Cathy

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how cute! That's such a clever idea. Do you use a pattern, or just wing it? Can't wait to see the purse!