Sunday, November 15, 2009

Small Gifts

While we were creating the other day, I mentioned that the newest quilt I was working on was made from reproduction feedsack fabric. I love feedsack more than anything. Imagine making something so utilitarian so cute- buy feed for your chickens, etc. and you get fabric to make things with. My mother and her four sisters had skirts, tops and dresses that my grandmother made from feedsacks. I wish they still had them. ;)
Well, Dawn did have one- with sweet blue flowers and red polka dots and she gave it to me as a gift. You could have knocked me over with a feather! I adore it and it will one day be included in a quilt with a place of honor in a special block. I could not thank her enough for such a treasured piece of the past.



She also gave me the other two pieces- one a floral with a mauve background and a mauve velvet. We both decided that the velvet was not very pretty and needed some help. Saturday morning I took out the bleach and filled my kitchen sink with water. Adding a cup of bleach to about 2 gallons of water, I added the velvet and voila! It changed! Only not how I expected it to, it turned bright pink! See?


A quick swish in a bucket of water with a little bit of cocoa brown dye took care of that. It knocked back the color quite a bit. It worked, Dawn! One piece of dirty pink velvet perfect for creating things that need that vintage look you love. :)


The other project I have been working on is a birthday gift for my sister. I started with a 12x12-inch canvas that I covered with a piece of embossed scrapbook paper. I tore and layered on another contrasting piece and then began playing. I had made Dawn a little nest on a branch and why I didn't think to attach it to something I'll never know. But, hindsight is a good thing and I dug through all the stuff in my craft room and made two little assemblages- one for me and one for my sis. The first one is Gayle's:



I found the wire thingy in the parking lot at the Wal Mart, which just goes to show you can find treasures anywhere! The branches are from my parent's front yard and the base is a few shredded dictionary pages. I love how they cushion the nest.



I just added and subtracted until I was happy. It did not take long.
This one is mine:


I think being with Dawn unlocked that place in me that had been ignored far too long.
It's nice to see it again. :)

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

I love your little nests Karen! How very clever to make them with shredded paper -- too, too cute!

Carol Mae said...

The nest is so cute, what a great idea. Also the compostion book cover is so nice that you made at Dawns. Blessings, Carol

Blueball Mountain Spindle and Needle Works said...

Those look great Karen! i love assemblages but don't do them very often....I'm inspired now, too!

Anonymous said...

Glad you found your crafting/creating muse again! I love everything you made! Bramble