Monday, November 16, 2009

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

Last week I drove out to Conyers to go to Hobby Lobby with my mom and a friend. After shopping, we decided that we needed a bit of lunch. We chose Roly Poly Sandwiches as our destination. The sandwiches looked delicious but when I saw mushroom soup on the menu, I knew that was what I would have. Oh, yum.



Of course, you know I came home wanting to make that soup! Last night, I did. Oh, it is wonderful if I do say so myself. Smooth and silky with just the right balance of caramelized onion and mushrooms. Lots of mushrooms.
If you like mushroom soup, you may want to try my version. Warning- it is not low cal! But then, what decent mushroom soup would be?
Karin's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 lb. pre-sliced crimini (baby portabello) mushrooms
1 lb. pre-sliced button mushrooms
1-2 medium onions, halved and sliced thin
1 quart beef stock or broth
1 pint cream or half & half
butter
flour
salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of fresh thyme (optional- but it is delicious!)
Dash of Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven add 1 T butter. Add thinly sliced onions and slowly caramelize them over medium heat. Add mushrooms about 10 minutes before onions are done and saute until just soft. Remove onions and mushrooms.
Add 2 T butter back to pan and melt. Add 2 T flour to make a roux and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Slowly add beef stock to roux and blend well. Add back mushrooms and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add thyme, if using. Heat through.
Pour in cream and heat through until soup thickens slightly and mushrooms become soft, being careful not to allow it to boil. Add Kitchen Bouquet to bring up color if desired. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Serves 6.
I had some for breakfast this morning (so I could take the above photo) and I can tell you it is superb the second day! Yum, yum. There's nothing like a bowl of hot soup on a cold day.
I promise, you'll never eat canned again!

3 comments:

monix said...

I am getting into soup mode here, too, Karin. I made leek and potato today but tomorrow I will definitely be trying Karin's Mushroom!

Thimbleanna said...

YumYum! I've never made homemade COMS -- it looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Utah Grammie said...

I have ALWAYS love cream of mushroom soup and this recipe could take on any that I may have! Wow - looks and sounds just wonderful!