Sunday, November 1, 2009

Faded Forest and a Little Peek

A little while ago I was reading Karla's blog and swooned over her bleached and dyed Christmas trees. I had to try this myself so yesterday my daughter and I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a few packages of cheap-o bottle brush trees. I could not wait to get home!




I mixed up a batch of bleach and water (1 part bleach to 2 parts water) in an old milk jug. I cut the top off, leaving the handle for support, so I could dip the trees in. It was fascinating to watch as the very green trees turned color. Some of them I only left in a tiny little bit, just to fade the green and others I left in until all of their color had been stripped. A quick bath under the tap and they were done. I mixed up a batch of teal dye and dipped a few of the trees. The green trees were left as is and the others I dipped into a cocoa brown dye. They turned out beautifully, as you can see.



On Thanksgiving Day all of the women will gather in my craft room to create a something using these trees. They may be glittered, adorned or left plain but, whatever happens to them, the trees will be much prettier than they were originally. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures to show you the end result!
Now for the sneak peek! Tina from the Garden Goose and I are swap partners for the Small Town Living garland swap. I can't wait to see what she made for me! She is one very clever girl! Here is a portion of the garland that I made for Tina:



That's all you get because I don't want to totally spoil the surprise.

9 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

I've been wanting to do this too Karin!!!! I bought the trees on clearance last year and they are just waiting....guess I need to get of my rump and try it :) I hope you're doing great sweetie, xxoo, Dawn ps, you were as beautiful as a child as you are now!

Cathy Cobblestone said...

What a great idea Karin - bleach, who'd a thought? And I want to see more of that cherry garland - oh my, that is the cutest idea!! Keep on sharing!

Katie said...

Well, cool! I love the little trees -- great way to vintage-up some ordinary brush trees. I'm thinking some glitter and little vintage garland . . . or ribbons . . . excuse me, I think I'll go find the 'clearance' trees I know I have somewhere and set about to a new project.

Thanks!

The Feathered Nest said...

Hey sweetie!!! You're not USING the rods are you?? :) I would LOVE them!!! And would love to pay you for them as well...please let me...I still want you to come over...but haven't been working on the house like I should, mostly making things!! hugs and love, Dawn

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how fun! Now I want to make some of those trees too! And that garland - EEEEKKKK! I WANT TO SEE MORE!!!

adam said...

Yours turned out great! Have fun with the family craft day.

Cathy said...

Lookin' cute so far!! :)

amy said...

I had no idea you could bleach them! I have a big bag of them I bought on clearance last year. I have to try this. They are gorgeous!

Elizabeth G. said...

Hi Karin! Where did you get these trees