Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After

First, my apologies for no pictures. My Thanksgiving day started at 7:30, when I began to prepare the kitchen for the Smith Family Heap-Big Thanksgiving Breakfast Bash. Say that five times fast! This breakfast has been a tradition since I was a little girl, actually, since my mother was a little girl and the menu never varies- fried dough with butter and maple syrup or molasses, bacon, sausage and a fruit of some sort. This year it was orange wedges. I set out ten loaves of frozen bread dough to rise overnight into pillows of puffiness. Now, we cannot eat that much on our own! I had 19 people at my house for breakfast, including seven missionaries with hefty appetites!
The movement in my kitchen was like a strange bird dance- dip, swoop, flip, duck, as my husband and I each did our part. I have charge of the iron skillet frying dough and he has charge of the bacon and sausage. He cooks the bacon in the oven, it's so much easier and quick! Two hours later we had a houseful of fat and happy campers!
Immediately after cleaning up from breakfast, I started to make two banana cream pies for my daughter to take to her friend's house. I owed him a pie for his birthday and I sent one for his family, in case he was not in the mood to share. I whipped up the pie dough in the food processor, chilled it, and started on the filling. I don't use boxed pudding, I make my own using the Fannie Farmer Vanilla Cream Pie 1 recipe. Yum. Only I doubled it and, because I was distracted by my daughter asking me how to roll pie crust, I think I only put in enough corn starch for one batch. She's not awake yet to tell me if her friend's family had banana cream pie or banana cream soup in a crust! Oh, well. It probably tasted okay.
After the pie adventure, I started on dinner- scallop casserole; green bean casserole; carrots in maple-ginger cream sauce; mashed potatoes; mashed sweet potatoes; stuffing with dried cranberries, onions and celery; stuffing with nothing for my brother because, as he said, I didn't want to suffer the after-effects of him eating the other; turkey roasted with rosemary and lemon; a spiral-sliced ham and homemade cheddar biscuits. Plus another banana cream pie for us, with enough cornstarch! Phew!
After the feast, everyone helped pack up leftovers, clean the dishes and I broke out the crafts! It isn't Thanksgiving if the girls don't get to craft. This year we made simple boxes, covered in paper and topped with the trees that I had bleached and dyed, along with copious amounts of glitter. Glitter makes me happy.
I finally stopped at 9:00 PM after spending the day running like a fast-moving train. I am still tired, but, it was a wonderful day. I had my family around me- my husband, my children (minus one), my parents, my brother, my sister and her family and my dad's distant cousin, who lives only an hour and a half away. Not so distant after all. And for all of that, I am very, very grateful. I hope your day was full of good food, good fun and wonderful family memories.
I'm going to eat a piece of pumpkin pie now- for breakfast.

2 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Karin, my sweet friend, YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!! I so admire you! You have such a precious heart, feeding so many ~ of course the food sounds so delicious but the glitter?? DELIGHTFUL!!! I'm so thankful for our friendship sweet girl ~ hugs and love, Dawn

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Woman -- I'm exhausted just reading about your day -- that's a TON of cooking!!! Sounds like you had great fun and that everyone was happy and filled. And Pie for Breakfast the day after IS a Thanksgiving Tradition!!!