Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sloppy Joes and Bitty Biscuits


I made Sloppy Joes for dinner last night and, because I forgot to buy hamburger buns, I served them on tiny baking powder biscuits. They were delicious, if I do say so myself. Hmm, I think I will. What is it about tiny food that makes me happy? I don't know.
Anyway, I'm sharing the recipe with you just in case you want to make tiny food for your family. I'm sure they will appreciate it!
Sloppy Joes
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, or 1/4 of a large one, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves minced garlic
Sauce-
2- 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup plus 1 T brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all sauce ingredients in a pan and heat through to blend flavors.
In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions and peppers. Want more flavor to your meat? Allow it to caramelize a bit. Go on, I'll wait.............................................................
Done? Okay. Now add the garlic and saute gently until the garlic permeates the meat, maybe three minutes. Don't burn the garlic. There is nothing that can rescue burnt garlic. Trust me.
Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the meat and heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Why only 1/2? Because you are going to allow the other half to cool and put it in the freezer for the next time you want sloppy joes! Smart, huh?
Bitty Biscuits-
You could make your biscuits from a baking mix but, really, it isn't all that hard to make your own. This is my favorite recipe for baking powder biscuits, from The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook by Christopher Kimball. They are yummy!
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 T chilled butter, not margarine, cut into 1 T increments
3 T chilled shortening
2/3- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to mix.
Add butter, one piece at a time, and pulse once after each addition. Add shortening and pulse 6 more times, or until mixture looks like coarse meal.
Place mixture in a mixing bowl and slowly fold in the buttermilk with a spatula or wooden spoon. When dough begins to hold together, turn out onto a floured surface. You might need a little more or a little less of the buttermilk.
Roll or pat (my preference) dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter, being careful not to twist the cutter. You want those puppies to rise!
Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, turning the baking sheet around once halfway through.
This recipe will make 16 2-inch biscuits, perfect for a family dinner! Want to pump them up? Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese. You will probably have to add a little more buttermilk if you do.
So, there you have it- Sloppy Joes with Bitty Biscuits. Nothing tastes better on a chilly Autumn night.

6 comments:

monix said...

Thank you, Karin, you have solved a mystery for me! I have come across the term Sloppy Joes in books and movies but not known what they were until now. Bless you!

madrekarin said...

You're very welcome, Maureen! Even better than knowing what they are is finding out how good they taste. :)
Ha! My own word verification is "mealing". Funny.

Agapitos said...

Je peux dir que sont tres jolie
Very fine blog and photos
Agapitos from Greece

http://aeromodelling-agapitos.blogspot.com/

Fete et Fleur said...

When I was little, my favorite comfort food was a Sloppy Joe!

Love this recipe.

Nancy

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, this is looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. And btw, I made your cranberry apple oatmeal last weekend and it was fabulous! I MAY have eaten the whole thing all by myself because no one else in the family likes oatmeal and I'm SURE it wouldn't have been good as a leftover. Oink Oink!!!

Utah Grammie said...

These look soooo good..and what is it about Autumn food that is so special..love from the warmth in you belly I guess. Thanks for sharing this recipe - I must make it soon :-)