Friday, October 23, 2009

My Cranberry-Apple Oatmeal

This is actually a repost from last year. Since fall has arrived, I have made this three times. It's the perfect go-to breakfast when you have time to spend. Enjoy!



Cranberry-Apple Oatmeal
1/2 cup oats- quick or old-fashioned
1 cup water, plus more for adding as the oatmeal cooks
2 T dark brown sugar
1 T butter
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 apple, cored and cubed. You don't have to peel it, I don't. But if you want to, go ahead.
Scant 1/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
Now, don't think I'm odd, but I also add just a tidge of black pepper- a shake or two. Just because.
Add water, butter, brown sugar and oatmeal in a large skillet. Turn heat to medium and begin stirring together. As oatmeal thickens, add spices and salt and continue stirring, adding water, 1/4 cup at a time, as it becomes absorbed into oatmeal. It is quite similar to making risotto. After 8 minutes or so, add apple chunks and cranberries and continue stirring and adding water (up to 1 cup or so) until the apples are soft but not mushy. This should take about ten - twelve minutes. Done! The result is a creamy, flavorful oatmeal with the snap of tart apple bits and cranberries.
That's it. Simple, huh? It is satisfying and delicious. If you would like to make this a breakfast for four, make a few scrambled eggs and bacon or some toast and jam to serve with it.
Who knew you could do so much with so little?

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh. I have apples. I have oatmeal. And I have cranberries. I'm thinking this is going to be my weekend treat. YUM! Thanks for posting! (And hey, do you think it would be ruined with a few candy corns thrown in LOL?)