Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mirror Trick

Above my stove hangs a mirror. A very plain, oak-framed mirror with a little beveled edge. I took it down yesterday and my kitchen immediately went dark. I hadn't realized how much that little mirror added to the whole feel of la cucina.




So, instead of trying to find something to replace the very plain mirror, I dressed it up a bit.



At one time, whenever I went to a yard sale or estate sale, I would buy pretty beveled, flat mirrors. The kind that sit on a sideboard or dresser to add a bit of sparkle. Well, I though, why couldn't one of them dress up and add a bit of sparkle to the plain over-the-stove mirror?
A bit of heavy-duty glue, 24 hours of drying time and I now have a mirror with a little pizazz!
The second mirror adds a lot of interest and depth to the room now, shooting what is reflected in it in all sorts of directions.
Cooking is going to be so much more fun now.

10 comments:

science + skeleton said...

the house has changed since i last saw it. this does not surprise me.

madrekarin said...

It's a tad bit different. :) There's a table in the kitchen now but the dining room and living room are still switched. They're never going back.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- that's really cool! You're so very clever -- I love it!

monix said...

What bright ideas you have. I'm going to see what I can do to add a little interest to some of my old mirrors.

amy said...

I love it!

Cathy Cobblestone said...

LOOOOOOVE it - it really is beautiful and special now. Fantastic idea! Have a great one! Cathy

whimseycreations said...

I love it Karin - what a great idea!

Utah Grammie said...

This is a GREAT idea! Into my file it goes :-)

sarayutouched said...

i am a lover of mirrors...and you are right about the light. i have 5-6 in most rooms of my house...you did an awesome job making this one your own. LOVE it!!

Pamela said...

I am with Sarayutouched!! I love mirrors as well and I am avid collector. They are the perfect accent or accessory I even love to make it the focal point. Good Job.