Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Creative

Yesterday was my friend's birthday and I wanted to make something special for her. She owns the quilt shop where I work and, consequently, something sewing related was out of the question. Really, she's surrounded by quilts and sewing notions every day, she needed something soft and pretty instead. Taking a page from Dawn's book, I created a little- oh, what does she call them?- assemblage in a box.




The back is a scan of an old ledger page I found in Marietta. I attached a tiny nest in the center and then gathered a pretty taupe satin ribbon around it. A bit of raw wool gives the eggs a soft place to nestle. I created the little friend flag using the Jane Austen font and a vintage hat pin.
Tea dyed lace and a few vintage buttons finished it off nicely. I can report that she loved it!
I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to things like this. Lately, I've been hovering over my sewing machine stitching quilt pieces together so this took a bit of time. But, it was so worth it to see the smile on my friend's lovely face.
Ah, creative feels so good.

6 comments:

Diva Kreszl said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift...I'm sure your friend will love it!!!

wendy said...

It's so pretty, I'm sure she'll love it!!

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Karin. It's absolutely LOVELY!!!!! I bet she LOVES IT!!! I'm in love with the ruffle detail around the nest...you smarty arty ~ gorgeous!!! hugs and love, Dawn

Fete et Fleur said...

This is beautiful. I love the delicacy of your work!

Nancy

Utah Grammie said...

Oh, she's one lucky birthday girl for sure! This is just beautiful - I sooo love satin ribbon..perfect!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how sweet! Your friend is going to LOVE it!