Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hello, Miss Spider.


I posted this photo on my FB page but I though you might like to see it here. During one of the brief intermissions of rain yesterday I quickly went down to take care of the hens. On my way back, I nearly ran into the web of this tiny spider. Then I ran in to get my camera.
This is a female spiny-backed orb spider. They live in gardens all over the Southeast and weave orb-shaped webs similar to the bigger black and yellow garden spider. (I've had a few of those too, all named Charlotte.) They come in a variety of colors- white with black dots and spikes, white with black dots and red spikes, orange with black dots and spikes, and yellow with black dots and spikes. She is very tiny, only about 3/8 of an inch, and very docile. The only time she raised her legs was when I touched her with my camera lens. I think I would be a bit annoyed at that as well.
She is a very interesting little thing, isn't she? I could have watched her all day, but for the huge downpours we've been having.
Thanks for visiting, Miss Spider! Come back again.

6 comments:

mnscrapbookmom said...

Oh MY...That's one interesting spider. I don't think that I have ever seen a spider like that in MN. I may wet myself if I ever did - and instantly think that it was poisionous. She sure is colorful, and you are so-so brave to get that close. :o)

Utah Grammie said...

It looks like some sort of "mini-crab" hahaha! too weird! Isn't nature grand!

Maryjane - The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Karin! I have NEVER seen a spider like that! So differnet looking than most spiders don't you think?! Wow, great picture! Glad to hear you were walking to your hen house! Sounds like the city is letting you keep it and you won the fight! LOL!

Thinking of you!
Hugs,
Maryjane

Susan said...

Wow, never seen anything like that. Amazing. Like Charlotte gone alien!

Sharon said...

Great photo Karin! I enjoy all of your photos :)

Have a great night :)

Sharon

sarayutouched said...

love this spider...and normally i'm not a fan.