Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Back Way.

Yesterday was a little bit gray but it did not affect my mood. Nope, not one bit. I spent the morning cleaning and then headed off to the feed store to get laying pellets for the hens. I took the back way, down Hwy. 155 into McDonough for a change. I could have taken the freeway, but I wanted to enjoy being out and about.
I drove through the square, turned the corner and followed traffic to the feed store. Guess what? It wasn't there! I sat in my truck a bit dazed as it all soaked into my brain. Where is it? Why is it not here? How am I going to get food for the hens? All of these questions flew through my brain until my eyes finally landed on the rather large white sign in the window- We have moved to Stringer Lumber, and the address. Well, thank goodness. I turned around, drove back through the square to the lumber yard and purchased the chicken feed. I hope I remember that for the next time!
As I was driving I realized that I had passed one of my favorite places, The Plum Tree. What to do, what to do? Well, I drove back, that's what I did. I picked up a few things- two berry baskets, a perfectly empty vintage photo album and an old drawer. The bonus? I got to chat with Cindy for a little bit. Ah, lovely.
I got my package in the truck just as a few rain drops began to fall, drove back to Hwy 155 and began what turned out to be an adventurous trip home stuck behind a truck hauling a trailer that held a CAT bulldozer. It was moving at a snail's pace. Cars tried to speed around me and the truck, some successfully slipping by and others having to make some snap decisions as cars came from the opposite direction. I chose to enjoy the journey.
Along the road I spied the first hints of fall coming- native grasses changing from green to brown, leaves swirling to the roadside, the first of the Autumn wildflowers making their appearance. There were front yards full of chickens pecking the ground for tasty bugs, horses grazing lazily on the grass along side them and ducks waddling to small ponds. A freshly mowed field was full of Canadian geese, some making nests of the cuttings and others rooting for treats. A man in tan was mowing the grass at the end of his driveway, every part of him blending into each other. He was literally swathed in tan; pants, shirt, gloves, hat, skin, hair and beard. Had the grass been dead he would have disappeared entirely.
The blue house that I have loved since I first saw it 20 years ago has a for sale sign out in front. Oh, I wish. I passed the Ozias Primitive Baptist church with its white clapboard siding and picnic pavilion almost as big as the church itself. It makes me think of the churches in New England, home, and so holds a sweet spot in my heart.
There is a beautiful , green pasture with a large pond surrounded by split rail fencing on the way home. A Palomino, a Morgan and an Appaloosa cluster together and nibble the grass. It is like a painting and I wished I had my camera with me.
Children playing, dogs barking, gardens dying and people going home, I got to see all of it because I was behind a truck hauling a trailer that held a CAT bulldozer.
I'm glad I chose the back way.

6 comments:

Diva Kreszl said...

What lovely surprises come when we open our eyes! Here's to taking the long way home...

Utah Grammie said...

That's what I love about you - you recognize and appreciate the little things that aren't so little after all! So glad you 'enjoyed the ride' - isn't that really what it's all about? or was that the Hokey Pokey??

The Feathered Nest said...

What a wonderful post Karin!! I love your writing, it flows so beautifully. I hate that you were so close and I didn't get to see you!!! I'm so glad that the feed store just moved, that would have been heartbreaking if they were gone. Next time you need feed....call me! xxoo, Dawn

monix said...

Karin, there is a little award waiting for you over at my place:
http://randomdistractions.blogspot.com/2009/09/accepting-graciously.html
Maureen

CathyJean said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post! A great reminder to enjoy all the small wonders we are gifted with every day :)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Lovely! A nice, vivid description.