Saturday, August 8, 2009

Don't Try This At Home.

Today is the 3rd birthday of my favorite quilt shop. In honor of this wonderful event, I made a cake. Isn't it beautiful?



It is a French vanilla bundt cake made with butter, milk and fresh eggs from the hen house. It made my whole house smell divine as it was baking last night.
In order to prevent any unwanted creatures from noshing on this gateau, I had to cover it. The glaze was still a bit sticky so I had to find something that would elevate the cover off the cake. Hmmm, what to do, what to do. Aha! Spaghetti! Of course. Poking twelve sticks of spaghetti into the cake I was able to then drape a clean dish towel over the top. Problem solved, I went to bed.
This morning I woke up to find that (Duh!) the spaghetti had absorbed the moisture from the cake and each stick had broken at the place where cake and pasta met. The towel had then dropped onto the cake, taking parts of the glaze with it as I lifted it off. Perfect. You can't see those parts in my carefully staged photo, but they are there, trust me.
There is now a new, pasta-free cake on the counter waiting for a dusting of powdered sugar to take to my friends. I hope my family likes spaghetti cake.

9 comments:

monix said...

Thank you for the entertainment! My sides are aching from laughing. Apart from the disastrous spaghetti, the cake looks wonderful.

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha! A happy accident for the family!!!

CathyJean said...

LOL!! Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I would have thought that spaghetti would have worked, too :)

Maryjane~Sweet Sassy Sadie Lee's Granddaughter said...

LOL! Oh Karin, that is a funny sorry! Love the "duh" part! I am sure the new fresh cake is delightful!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Oh and yes, I started another blog! LOL!

Maryjane~Sweet Sassy Sadie Lee's Granddaughter said...

oh my goodness...I of course meant STORY! Sorry you first cake failed! LOL!

Betty said...

Love your solution and your funny tale. You got me to thinking...some of those really cheap wooden chopsticks might not soak up too much moisture, eh? But, if you did that, we wouldn't get to enjoy the hilarity of the situation. Too fun!

Utah Grammie said...

hahahhahahaa! Spaghetti cake! Who doesn't need extra carbs, right?? hahahaha! Best laid plans of mice & men (and women it seems )

Cathy Cobblestone said...

That is too funny Karin. I had to laugh out loud - sounds just like something I would have done - thinking I had the most ingenious idea all to be brought back down to ground level when realizing it wasn't a good idea at all -hehe. Your intent was good though and I'm sure somebody will love that cake - spaghetti and all! Thanks for making me smile. Cathy

sarayutouched said...

oh the things we endure...you are so funny...cut me up a piece of spaghetti bundt cake please!!!