Saturday, August 15, 2009

5K Day!!

We did it! My sister, Dayna, and I woke up early this morning and drove an hour to the Silver Comet Trail in Mableton to participate in our first 5K. It was such a beautiful morning, cool and still. Thirty women gathered at the starting point and anxiously awaited the words- Ready! Set! Go! And go we did.


Some of the women ran the entire 3.1 miles, others walked the trail. Dayna jogged the entire time and I alternated between jogging and walking very fast, arms pumping me along when my body did not want to go any further. My halfway time was 24 minutes, 23 seconds, much better than I thought it would be!
The trail itself is beautiful. Kudzu blossoms scattered themselves over the trail giving us a carpet of flowers upon which to walk, their grape-like scent wafting up with each footstep. Sweet Autumn clematis tumbled over railings and bushes along side the trail making every turn a feast for the eyes. Rocky walls sweeping up the hillsides where trains would zoom past each and every day. Just beautiful. And the best part? No snakes! Boy, was I happy about that.
Dayna and I came in together, encouraging each other along by saying, "Come on! You can do it!" and, "Go, Dayna! You need to beat your older sister!" Our times? 48 minutes, 54 and 55 seconds respectively.
The most important thing for me was that I met the goals I had set for myself: 1. To finish and 2. To come in under an hour. The challenge of training every day for the past month paid off in a big way, I feel energized and proud of the fact that I was able to accomplish something I thought I never could do.
I cannot wait until next year!!

8 comments:

science + skeleton said...

feels good man. i hope your knees are better than mine. splamica is my word verification. splamica.

monix said...

Congratulations! And such a poetic description of the route, I feel I was there, watching from the side of the fragrant path as you jogged by.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Congratulations -- that's a wonderful achievement!

Anonymous said...

YAY KARIN!!!! I'm jumping up and down for you, what a great thing to accomplish. Set your sights and away you went, do you feel invincible now? Puts alot of things into a different perspective, huh? I'm so glad for you and hope this is just the beginning of alot of surprisingly pleasant events for you to experience! Bramble

Cathy Cobblestone said...

So proud of you Karin - and Dayna too - for accomplishing your goal and another big CONGRATS to you and your new job - You'll be awesome!

Thank you for asking about my friends that lost their home in a fire last year - they are doing well - they have rebuilt and had their 3rd son in April. Thanks so much for asking about them.

Are you coming to Frannie's in Sept? I hope you all are!

Take Care, Cathy

CathyJean said...

Congrats!! That's wonderful :)

Utah Grammie said...

Wowzer! you are one amazing woman - where do you get all your steam!!?? I am so proud of you!

MNScrapbookmom said...

I did my first 5K last October... so fun. I walked most of it... but I also finished, and came in under an hour. I was way sore the next day - but it felt so good to do that. Haven't done anything remotely similar since. Hehe... but, it was good. Congrats to you. (I kept my tag for a Scrap page...) We have to savor those moments of triumph when we over exceed our expectations. :o) Happy Wednesday to you. ¥