Monday, July 6, 2009

The Perfect Summer Side

I don't think anything says "Summer in the South" like a summer squash casserole. We grew up eating summer squash prepared one way- boiled in water until soft, drained and served with salt, pepper and butter. I love summer squash that way, I really do. But, when I moved here to Georgia I discovered a new way to eat it and I have not been the same since.





What is there not to love? Summer squash from the garden, soft slices of onion, milk, eggs, crackers and best of all, cheese! Lots of cheese.
I made some for my dinner tonight. Just that for me, everyone else had chicken and macaroni and cheese because they don't eat squash. My husband asked me what kind of casserole I had made and winced when I told him. Harumph.
I'll share my recipe just in case you have a bounty of summer squash in your garden or have been the recipient of a mystery bag hung on your door like I was.

Summer Squash Casserole

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2 large summer (or six small) squash, sliced thin. You will need about five cups or so of sliced squash.
1/2 Vidalia onion, in thin slices

Place onions and squash in a steamer basket (or colander) over boiling water, cover and steam for 10 minutes.

In a bowl, mix together the following:
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (if desired)
salt and pepper to taste
2T melted butter

In a separate bowl, mix together:
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (or your preference), coarsely crushed
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Reserve out 1/2 cracker and cheese mixture. Into the remaining cracker/cheese mixture add the squash and onions. Mix together well. Pour squash into a buttered 9x13-in. baking dish.
Pour the milk and egg mixture over the squash and top with the reserved cracker/cheese mixture.

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese is nicely browned.

This is just so darn good that I had to take some up the hill to my mom and dad's so I wouldn't eat it all. "Share the joy.", I always say. My hips will thank me.

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, yum -- this looks delicious! I sure wish someone would leave a mystery bag of squash on my doorstep -- I'd LOVE that!!!

CathyJean said...

Yum! I'm saving this recipe ~ thanks! :)