Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Well, That's a Nice Surprise!

This morning, on my way to feed the hens, I caught a flash of red from the corner of my eye. Cardinal, I thought and went on with my chores.
After changing the water and filling the feeder, I looked back over to the spot where the flash came from. Cardinal? No! It was even better than that. I rushed to get my camera so that I could share this sight with each of you!




On Christmas Eve the Smith family gathers for dinner and a gift exchange at my mother-in-law's house. We have a limit of $10 for the gift. Two Christmases ago, John Albert received a box which contained two pots, some dirt, paper white bulbs and an amaryllis bulb. He was thrilled.
We brought them home and planted them the next day and waited for them to bloom. And bloom they did! They were magnificent.


Well, the pots ended up being put outside when the weather warmed and were, sadly, forgotten. Thinking that the plants were dead I tossed them, dirt and all, into the woods to compost. Clearly the amaryllis had other plans!


The bulb, rejuvenated by heavy spring rains, sent roots down into the leaf mould where it found an abundance of nutritious earth. The bulb, as you can see, lays on top of the ground but the roots are solid. This little plant took advantage of its surroundings, drew in the goodness that was around it and fulfilled the measure of its creation by sending up a bounty of beautiful blossoms.
Had I not walked that particular path this morning to the hen house, I would have missed the flash of red, and in doing so, would have missed this little miracle resting along the edge of the wood.
There's a lesson to be learned from this little plant. It could have, without notice, withered and died, but it did not. Instead it did what it was created to do. That same thing applies to us-no matter where we are, we can take from the good things that surround us and produce something of beauty from deep inside ourselves. Or, in other words:
"Bloom Where You Are Planted."
Literally.

8 comments:

Betty said...

Wow, how perfect is that saying for your little amaryllis...and, for the rest of us, too! Thanks for a fun post!

Anything Goes Here said...

All I can say is WOW! Great post! xo Joan

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Wow what a message in so many ways. I think sometimes we do something and nothing comes of it and we think "oh well, that didn't work" and then later we find out that in "time" (don't you hate time) thing come to light and life. Life is full of lessons if we just look at them that way. Thanks Karin.

Jacquelene L. said...

Thank you for sharing this life lesson and the beauty. I really needed this today. I read your blog almost daily but I don't often comment, today brought me out from just being an observer.
I will be thinking about this post and rereading it.
Jacquelene L.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

If that's not a blatant metaphor, I don't know what is! Amazing. And beautiful!!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! That's amazing. What a cool surprise -- I had no idea amaryllis would bloom this time of year!

Utah Grammie said...

Love it..and it just goes to show...once the "mind" is set, anything can happen :-)

sarayutouched said...

this is absolutely AWESOME. your words could not be more true! this is a wonderful post. thanks for sharing!!!