Monday, May 25, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggedy-Jig.

It was too fast. Time with my sister always is. But, in spite of the quickness of time, my nephew has graduated and is ready to move on to the next phase of his life. I hope that you have clear sailing from now on, Brandon.
We started our adventure on Friday, taking a trip to a quilt shop I have been wanting to see, Sew Worth It! And it was. After that a bit of lunch and a trip to the grocery store for supplies and $300 later, we headed home with a truck bed full of what would become some yummy party food.
As soon as we reached home we started cooking. And cooking. And cooking. Dips, spreads, sausage rolls, peeling and cutting vegetables, baking Asian chicken wings, Italian chicken wings, not to mention scalloped potatoes and cube steaks for dinner! I thought we would never finish but we did, at 10:30 that night.
The next morning we were up at eight, making cupcakes and butter cream icing, chocolate and vanilla. The chocolate icing proved too much for my sister's mixer. Half-way through it spun its last spin and smoke came billowing out of the vents. The chocolate icing had visible bits of butter, but that's okay. No one seemed to mind.
It was all worth it in the end. The graduate was a happy (full) camper and everyone had a great time.

Time for presents! I wonder why he has such a big smile?

Well, it's because of this!


A new car, all for Brandon.

Although I am sure his sister has plans for it as well. You can see it all over her face.

Sunday morning my mom, John and I woke up and began to get ready for our drive home. Everything was running smoothly until John discovered ants on his shorts. Apparently he had brought in a hitchhiking beetle, which died during the night. His death brought in dozens of fire ants, evil things. What did John do when he found them? Threw his shorts at me. I caught them, still not really realizing what was wrong until ants began crawling off the shorts and all over me. Holy cow!! They were everywhere and they were m.a.d. What do ants do when they're mad? They bite and hard. Once I got John's bites treated, I checked mine. While I did not have too many, the bites I received caused my hands to swell along with my right ankle, where I didn't even know I had been bitten. Seriously, I had to wait an hour before I could leave to make sure nothing more was going to happen! Good night above.

Thumb shown is larger than actual size.
And so, we are home. Mom had fun, John has more party treats than he will ever need and I have two very pudgy hands compliments of the nest of fire ants that live outside my sister's window.
Would I do it again? You betcha!! But I'd leave out the part with the ants.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Ooh, the party sounds wonderful! The ants...not so much! Sorry you had to go through all that for a good time. Your thumb looks very swollen and sore...hope it doesn't interfere with your sewing! Welcome home!

The Feathered Nest said...

I'm so glad you're back home safe and sound!!! I hate that about the ants though...those things are AWFUL!!! I hope your bites are gone away by now ~ one time, I was starting a new job...had my makeup on, hair finished and getting my clothes on and slipped on a blouse that was FULL of fire ants that had invaded my closet!!! I had so many bites you couldn't count them...I cried and headed off to work, wounds and all!! Wishing you a wonderful week sweet friend, xxoo, Dawn

Utah Grammie said...

Yikes! The ant thing sounds awful! Hope you will have good memories even though you were viciously attacked by ants..Does it hurt? Can you bend it? Hope you get to feeling better :-)