Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fannie Farmer's Fabulous English Muffins

Maryjane asked if Fannie was sharing, and she is!! Here is the recipe I used for making my batch of English muffins. Make sure you toast them to a crisp and plop on lots of butter and raspberry jam. Or whatever jam you like. I don't want to tell you what to do.

English Muffins
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon shortening
1 package dry yeast
3 cups white flour
Bring 1/2 cup water to the boil and mix it with the milk, salt, sugar and shortening in a large bowl and let cool to lukewarm. Stir the yeast into 1/4 cup warm water and let it stand for 5 minutes to dissolve. Add yeast and two cups of the flour to the milk mixture and beat vigorously. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. (I use the oven with the light one.) Stir, add remaining flour and beat well. Cover and let double in bulk once again. Turn out onto a light;y floured board and pat, not roll, the dough to 1/2-inch thick. Cut into three0inch rounds, cover and allow to rise until almost double. Cook on a well-greased, fairly hot griddle or skillet for about 15 minutes on each side, turning muffins and adjusting heat as necessary. Cool, split, toast and enjoy!
I tried the cornmeal in the skillet method and it worked fairly well. The next time I make them, I will use the method described here, just to see what the difference is. Store the muffins in the refrigerator as they are still very moist an you don't want them to get moldy before you can enjoy them.
I'm making a new batch today. That and some more crock pot yogurt. Now, if anyone knows how to make homemade Boraxo hand soap, I'd love a recipe. They use it at Ted's Montana Grill and I love everything about it- the feel, the smell, how clean my hands are.....Yes, insert bit of weirdness here _________.
Have a good day, everyone!

5 comments:

Betty said...

Nice recipe and instructions. I just buy Old Thomas muffins...wonder who Old Thomas is/was? Think he was really, really old?

Utah Grammie said...

I really want to try these- they sound sooo YUM-OH!

I, too, buy Thomas' Muffins..maybe we'll collectively put him out of business..oh, that's sad. OK, I'll only make these on special occasions. Thomas, don't worry...

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I love english muffins with orange marmalade on them, yummy! I'm saving this recipe for a winter bake day! And thanks for the award, so kind! Your blog is delightful!

Fete et Fleur said...

I love English muffins! Thanks for the recipe and the history lesson.

Hugs!
Nancy

Nan said...

I'll be trying them! You know Thomas' just don't taste as good as when I was a girl. Once in a while I get a yearning for one, buy a package, and end up throwing them out. Did I change or did they? :<)