Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Language Lesson.

My son called today with a funny story. He is at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA learning Farsi for the Army. Anyway, in class today they were asked to hold a phone conversation. Nathan was trying to say "Do you eat meat?" or something to that effect. Instead, he said this (using hard g's) :

"Gorbay garemez, gorbay garemez,
Chaycar me-cone-ay."
Now, I don't write Farsi, nor do I speak it. This is written phonetically, as I heard it. What it says, is this:
"Red cat, red cat,
What do you do?"
So now, you know how to say it, too!

3 comments:

Betty said...

Well, that's just too funny! And it rhymes with your last statement.

Utah Grammie said...

I love learning new languages! And now, when I go to the middle east - I can a red cat what his/her occupation is..WOW! Thanks :-)

science + skeleton said...

we weren't holding a phone conversation, we were playing a game of telephone. very different. and i said, "eat raw meat" not "do you eat meat?" gooshte kham bekhor.