Saturday, April 18, 2009

Homemade Yogurt

One of the farmgirl's at MaryJane's Farmgirl Connection had asked for a recipe for homemade yogurt this past week. Well, in the many replies was a recipe for crock pot yogurt. "Hmmm," I thought. "I bet I could do that."
And guess what? I did! Here it is:



I did not sweeten this yogurt with sugar as much as I would have liked to. Even so, it is full-flavored, silky and very tangy. Not tart or bitter, just... tangy. I now have a half gallon of this lovely stuff in my refrigerator. It will last about three weeks. What? I don't think so. I'll say it should last three weeks. There, that's better.
Here is the link for the crock pot recipe: Crock Pot Yogurt
I started mine yesterday morning and followed the directions, adding a half a cup of powdered milk to the yogurt-milk mixture. I wanted to be sure that it firmed up. I always have powdered milk on hand, so the cost was minimal. I think this batch of yogurt, 1/2 gallon, cost me $3.80. Not bad, since the 4-cup container of organic yogurt I bought for the starter was $2.69! (I bought a big one. What was I thinking? I only used 1/2 cup.) As I continue making it, I can use my own yogurt for the starter, making it even more cost effective.
When I went to bed last night, I took a peek and noticed that the milk mixture was still very liquidy. But, when I woke up this morning, that milky mix had magically turned into yogurt. I was thrilled to bits with the result.
Oh, FYI- I used Organic Valley whole milk and Stoneyfield organic whole milk yogurt, with live, active cultures. The live and active part is necessary for making yogurt. If it isn't alive, it won't work.
In my quest for eating healthier and being more responsible about what I bring to my kitchen table, I have to count this project as a success. Which is good because, so far, I only have the one.
Unless you count the girls in the back yard. Providing us with eggs daily, they are definitely a success!
Now for my next project.........

8 comments:

Betty said...

Ooh, lovely yogurt! Thanks for sharing the information about it.

And, lucky you, with your girls giving you fresh eggs every day!

whimseycreations said...

Oh that looks really pretty. I'm going to have to try it. Although being a Yoplait fan (yes I KNOW it has HFCS in it but I've tried every other type and just like it's creaminess the best) I'll have to figure out a way to sweeten it. Maybe with some strawberries that I've mashed with some honey or sugar. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the picture of yours. I may not have tried it without the picture LOL
Jill

Sharon said...

Karin,
Thanks so much for posting this. I'm excited! Tomorrow after church it's to the store to pick up some nonfat powder and yogurt :) Thanks for posting :)
Have a Blessed weekend!

~Sharon

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Hi sweet Karin - that yogurt looks yummy. I love it but would I ever have the patience to make it myself? And I still want my own chickens but I can't get Shaun to bite - he says with all our flowers (for sale)- that could mean disaster. Guess he's right. I was reading on MJF that you had a WII fit - do you like it. Is it worth the investment (especially since we don't have a wii). Oh well, I'm ramblin' this morning, hope to see you again sometime. Many blessings, Cathy

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Yum!! Love, love yogurt.
And thanks for posting the giveaway over at Farm Chicks.
:)

Utah Grammie said...

Hmmm..I may have to try this one. I'm big into Greek yogurt - thicker and creamier than the regular- I get the fat free and it's so like sour cream that I use it on everything. But to have my own - now that would be something! Yep-
Irish-American-Greek Yogurt by Colleen by way of Karin - I like the sound of that :-)

madrekarin said...

Hey, girls- If you make this, send me a picture by e-mail and I will post it here! We could start a homemade yogurt group! lol
If you want your yogurt thicker than what this makes, put it in a colander lined with some cheesecloth for a few hours to let the liquid drain. If you set it in the refrigerator overnight, you will have yogurt cheese to which you could add fresh herbs, garlic, roatsed red peppers, etc. Yum!!

Nan said...

Karin, we have one of those yogurt makers, and absolutely love it. More here:

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/07/tools-of-tradeyogurt.html