Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Hope This Isn't Karma.

I woke up at 7:20 this morning to the sound of heavy rain. Now normally on a Sunday that would be an okay thing, but not today. Today the rain meant that I would be getting wet on my way to the hen house to take care of the girl's morning ablutions. No lollygagging about as I had to get ready to go to church. Well, no time like the present.
I slid out of bed, put on my chicken-tending Crocs, donned my bathrobe and went to the kitchen. Filling a pitcher with water, I grabbed my Monet's Garden umbrella my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday last year and trotted out into the darkness.
Let me describe our tiny piece of land to you- it slopes. And where is the chicken pen? Near the bottom of the slope. And what happens when you have copious amounts of rain? The ground gets muddy. And what happens when you step on muddy, no-longer-grass-bearing, sloping ground wearing your chicken-tending Crocs? You slide. About two and a half feet, until you reach the place where you had to dig out the hill to accommodate the door to the pen. Then you carry on sliding until you come to a stop at the door. And what happens to the pitcher of water you were carrying as you slid down the hill? It pours out all over you. And the umbrella? It rolls away, probably back to Giverny. But that doesn't matter, because you are already soaking wet from the pitcher's contents, which is now seeping through your bathrobe and into your pyjamas.
Yes, that pretty well describes my Sunday morning. I got up from the ground dripping wet, covered in mud and chicken poop and hoping beyond all hope that no one was watching me. They weren't. Or at least that is what I'd like to think. Back to the kitchen I went, filled yet another pitcher of water, cursed my chicken-tending Crocs and went back out into the dark, rainy morning to complete my chores.
I'm pretty sure that I heard the girls laughing in the hen house.

16 comments:

Betty said...

I don't doubt the girls were laughing...as am I...but, not at your misfortune...just at the mental picture I have...haha. Thanks for a fun story. Try to stay dry the rest of the day, eh?

Autumn said...

WAAAAHAHAHAH! Sorry but that was funny!!!
I too have chicken tending crocs!!! Add a huge shepherd cross dog that body slams me if he doesnt eat first and I "have been there"!!!!Even on flat land louisiana it happens!!!

I think I heard your girls cackling too-along with mine!!!!!

K-Falls Farmgirl Cheryl said...

Laughing but feeling your pain.. I have slipped many times in those darn old great Crocs. I now slip into a pair tall black rubber boots in my pajamas to feed the girls.( I look ridiculous but )they really are glad to see me & could care less. I do not even take an umbrella. just my "farm girl" baseball cap or my straw hat.
Sorry to laugh but I have closely been there.!

monix said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad start to your Sunday, mine was very different. It started with an unusual mail delivery. It was very unusual because we don't have a mail delivery on Sundays! But there on the doorstep was a man from the Royal Mail bearing a box, all the way from USA. Yes, dear Karin, from you.
Once I had recovered from the shock of seeing a Royal Mail delivery van on Sunday, I opened the box and found your card and all the lovely gifts. Thank you very much. Is it okay for me to show them off on my blog tomorrow? Today I just want to sit and admire them.
Maureen

corrine said...

Great farm story! It gave me a much needed laugh, you told it very well.

M. said...

I was laughing so hard I was crying....You are too funny. I could picture it scene by slapstick scene.

Nothing like sitting at the computer with no one else in the room laughing ones butt off!

Thanks for a very funny story!!

Melody

Beemoosie said...

hope the rest of your day went better! When life gives you mud, make mud pies? ok that was horrible...lol bonnie

Carol............. said...

UUUUHHHHH, not good but have slipped (and fallen)into fresh horse manure so I understand LOL!

Hope you have a great week to make up for your morning!

Tina- said...

uhh its a good thing we are washable eh? what a start to the morning though..lol

Utah Grammie said...

Oh you poor thing! I can just see you sliding, getting mud and pooped and watered! The day HAD to get better, right??

Jami said...

Good story. At least you weren't dressed for church huh? That would be my style to "jaunt" out to water the chickens in my church clothes. I can't tell you how many times people in the pew behind me have picked alfalfa leaves/stems out of my hair on Sunday morning because I feed on my way out the door. LOL.
Jami

Lori said...

oh my...well, i hope your Monday was better!!! i once slid down someones very icy very steep driveway on my butt...i was not wearing weather appropriate shoes and that came back to bite me in a big way...LOL...

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Oh my!! What a way to start the day. Hope things improved.
:)

JellyQ said...

You know how much I love you, so please forgive me for laughing so hard I am crying. Nasty old Crocs. Nasty old rain. I hope nothing but your pride was bruised.

Aunt Jenny said...

Oh Karin...I have been there..crocs in the mud have been my downfall (literally) a few times. I hope the rest of your Sunday was more calm and dry!!!
Thanks for the giggle!

disa said...

A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風