Friday, February 27, 2009

What I Did On My Florida Vacation.

John and I had five days of fun and hard work while we were in Florida. We helped my sister get her first garden plot tilled and raked smooth. My brother-in-law rented a sweet tiller and I had a blast plowing through the dirt. That is until a blister developed on my right hand. Then it was not so fun. But, there is now a plot of impending self-sufficiency in her back yard waiting for tiny seeds to be planted. Now, if I could only convince her to get some chickens!


What trip to Florida would be complete without a trip to the beach?
These photos are from North Lido Beach on Lido Key. I love it there.



Can you see the line of waves just below the horizon? They aren't waves. It is a rip tide and it was the most incredible sight to behold. And scary.
This brave seagull was a bit too close for comfort. We all held our breath as he swooped in, barely missing the edge of the rip tide.


As the salty water rolled in upon itself, it created the appearance of boiling water, erupting now and then with a bursting bubble from the surface. I had never seen one before, so I acted the total tourist and snapped photo after photo. :)



Sandpipers dancing at the shoreline. So cute.



A beautiful (and sadly, dead) sea urchin.



The sun was amazing, casting full, white light on the sand.



And what vacation doesn't include a little crafting? The beginnings of a hand-sewn quilt.
This one is going to take me a long time.
I can tell you this, it was very difficult to get in the truck and drive home yesterday. Really.

5 comments:

sarayutouched said...

Karin~ The pictures of the water look so heavenly!!! We've had another round of glorious snow/sleet/rain!!! Today is about 16 degrees with gale force winds...oh what I would give to have a blister on my hand from tilling the earth!!!
I wouldn't want to come back from that beach either.

Have a great weekend!!
Robin

science + skeleton said...

those are some pretty gnarly riptide pics.

windycorner said...

Glad you had such a nice visit with your sister, but I wish you had more time. Next time! Isn't it amazing how much easier a tiller goes through Florida sand than Georgia clay. When we first moved to Tampa, I wanted to put a post in to mount a bird feeder on. I went to a neighbor to ask if they had a post hole digger and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said just dig the hole with a shovel...it's sand, you know. I had that post in and bird feeder up in no time flat. I agree, your sister does need some chickens.The manure will really help her garden.
Holley

Utah Grammie said...

I've never seen or experienced a rip-tide wither..the photos are great and it's so wonderful of you both to help them with their garden! And yes, they MUST get chickens! I'll be your girls were glad to have you back in the coop! Now, rest up and dream of that lovely sand...

Amy Ellen said...

Across the narrow beach we flit one little sandpiper and I. Well actually there were alot of sandpipes flitting along with you. It looks lovely and with it being currently 12 degress with a windchill here in KS. It looks down right awesome. Sigh..... I guess I still would prefer to live here. Looks like you had a lovely time.
Hugs
Amy