Friday, February 6, 2009

Man On A Bicycle With A Handlebar Moustache.

As my husband and I were waiting at a traffic light, I spied the most spectacular sight. A man, riding his bicycle, sporting the most magnificent handlebar moustache I have ever seen. I could not help but stare as he passed by my window. A slight tip of his head and he was gone, now just a reflection in my side mirror.
"Good-bye Man With the Magnificent Moustache!" I whispered.
I asked my husband if he saw him. Yes, he did.
"Was that not the most incredible moustache?"
"I guess."
I guess? Oh, it was.
He was perched perfectly on the seat, his back straight and his legs swooping in large circles as he peddled. His hands gripped the handlebars just so. Not too tightly, not to casually. The better to navigate through traffic safely.
His face wore the wrinkles that only a good, hard-working life can give. His hair was gray, as was the moustache, speckled here and there with the darker version from his youth. Shoes, worn and soft. I bet they are his favorite pair. His jacket wrapped about him like an old friend and his cap had settled itself upon his head seamlessly. It was a part of him. I could have watched him forever.
I think that I have discovered the perfect hobby- observing. It requires nothing more than a pair of eyes and time. Oh, and a good memory, so that you can go home and write about what you have seen.
Observation is much better when shared with others.

8 comments:

science + skeleton said...

i was terribly disappointed that this post is not accompanied by a photograph.

Utah Grammie said...

I am a people watcher - as witnessed by my constant watching of the diggings going on outside my cubicle window. I usually go one step further and make up huge stories, exciting, fabulous lives..get I should get one of my own, huh?

monix said...

I can imagine the scene perfectly. Who needs a camera with a gift for description like yours?

Betty said...

There's just something about a handlebar mustache, eh? Maybe he wanted to blend in with the handlebars on his bike? This is such a descriptive post...good on ya!

windycorner said...

What a picture! People watching is a great use of the imagination, we can create an entire character with one glance.
I sent you an email with my address and some info. Glad you're coming to FL.
Holley

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

HA! Liked your bicycle story too. :)

Jacquelene L. said...

I greatly enjoyed this vignette. Your discriptive writing is excellent, I could picture the story in my mind, it was as if I was in the car with you and experincing it too. No picture needed, the writing covered that beautifully.

I really enjoy these descriptive vignettes that you do, keep on writing.

Jacquelen L.
Toronto, Canada

Treds said...

I love shoes my most favorite brand are Fly London sketchers an Doc Marten