Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Whimsy Jars

I just love the concept behind these little treasure jars. You take a quart canning jar and fill it to the brim with things that the intended recipient would like. This one is for a friend from MaryJane's Farm for a swap that one of the farmgirls came up with.
I have filled it with little bits and bobs that a quilter and novice knitter would love to have. See the Brittany knitting needles sticking out of the top? They are the best. Yarn just seems to glide across them and they have a very soft feel in your hands. You can knit for hours and not get tired. (You may get bored, but your hands will feel great.)



And you don't have to stop with just filling the jar! You can add things to the outside and tie them up with a pretty bow and add to the joy!



The one that I received contained all sorts of wonderful treats. It is amazing how many things you can get into such a small jar. It fairly defies the laws of nature.
The possibilities are endless, I tell you! You could make a yo-yo kit, with a Clover yo-yo maker and some sweet pre-cut circles layered in the jar, needles and thread all ready to make a pillow, small art quilt or a garland.
Or how about a knitting jar? Punch a hole in the top, add an eyelet (to prevent rough edges), fill the jar with some yummy yarn, pull a bit through the top and tie the needles around the outside. Your yarn will never travel across the floor again!
Or, you could make an embroidery jar, with linen and floss and an assortment of needles.
Or, what about a doll kit? Include a pattern, fabric, stuffing, needle, thread and an assorment of embellishments to make a sweet little doll. Perfect for a young girl just learning to sew. How about clothespin dolls? Even simpler!
See? I told you the possibilities are endless! You could even make them for the men in your life- fishing jars, snack jars, make-your-own-tie jars, things-to-do-when-your-wife-is-antiquing jars. My mind is a whir of ideas! I'm going to fill some jars now.

4 comments:

MNScrapbookmom said...

I just adore this idea... It sure beats the "Selfish factor" in our family. There is actually a $30.00 rule - where each gift has to be worth $30.00. (We buy for everyone !!!) Personally, I wish we didn't do gifts at all. I love your idea... beautiful and so special. Or we need to draw names so we are buying for only one person. I even have friends that send lists to me of what to buy for them. I may just adopt your idea. ¥

The Feathered Nest said...

These are wonderful Karin!!! Such a thoughtful gift...and bits and bobs are the best!! Did you notice everyone else loved (loves) Donny too??!! xxoo, Dawn

Lavender Dreamer said...

I remember hearing about whimsy jars awhile back so today I made myself one and then searched 'whimsy jars' on google and found your blog! WOW! How neat is that! I love your blog!

Utah Grammie said...

This is what Christmas is all about - finding the "Just perfect!" things for one you love. I love you for sharing this with us - you are a sweetie!