Thursday, December 25, 2008

I May Be Mistaken,

but I think Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer might have been written in a fever-induced delerium.
I have been fighting being sick since Tuesday. I obviously have not fought hard enough, as I awoke last night coughing up a storm, aching in every part of my body and dripping things from my nostrils that should only be found dripping from waste pipes at an industrial site. One look in the mirror revealed a comical picture- me, hair wildly sticking up and a nose as red as a cherry tomato. Oh, joy. Oh, rapture. I looked like a cross between Rudolph, the angry elfen choir director and the Abominable Snowman all wrapped into one untidy package. Pretty. Not.
But, Christmas morning arrived all the same. Children were awakened (probably because I was coughing so loudly they couldn't sleep any longer) and presents were opened. It was a lovely, peaceful time.
My mom and dad and our friend's came for breakfast and gift-exchanging. The friends are flying to England today. They will arrive in time for celebrating Boxing Day tomorrow. Lucky them. The hustle about the house gave me enough energy to make fried dough and lay it out on the table with bacon, fruit salad, orange juice and egg nog.
Now that breakfast is over and dinner is hours away, I am going to go take a DayQuil, slather myself in Vick's Vapo Rub and take a nap, probably to dream about Rudolph and his friends.
Still, it has been a very happy Christmas morning here at the S house.
I hope it has been at yours as well.

4 comments:

monix said...

I'm sorry that you have such a rotten cold but I hope you had a lively Christmas Day despite it.

Betty said...

Ooh, that cold sounds really nasty! As for Rudolph, I always wonder why nobody mentions Olive...you know, "Olive the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names". I guess maybe Vixen wants to be the only female in the group, eh?

Glad you had a good time in spite of the sniffles!

Autumn said...

I just LOVE your blog!!!What a delight! I stumbled in from MJFarm-and what a treat!

Utah Grammie said...

Oh, you poor baby! I'm so sorry I didn't get over "here" earlier to wish you well. Hope you get to feeling better - Sniffle, sniffle...
-C