Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hamburger and Macaroni.

The other day, on her blog, Dawn posted a request for tasty recipes that would feed, well, an army of people. She has quite a houseful now and I quickly responded with one of my favorites- Hamburger and Macaroni.
You may know it by a different name-goulash, American chop suey, Cub Scout Special-but for me it will always be the very basic hamburger and macaroni combination that my Grandmother Kimball made for us.


Doesn't this look delicious?
My husband makes his mother's version, which is the one my children prefer. Made with tomato sauce instead of stewed tomatoes, it leaves my palate feeling a bit disappointed. So, every now and then, I will make Grammy's recipe for myself. The first bite transports me to her kitchen, sitting in the breakfast nook, plate at chin-level, eating my dinner with Grampa sitting across from me reading his newspaper. It is one of my happiest memories.
Because it is the holiday season and you might have to feed your own army, I am sharing the recipe here with you. I promise you will love it.
Grammy Kimball's Hamburger and Macaroni
(For 6) Multiply as needed.
1 pound lean ground beef
2 T butter
1 small onion, diced
2 15-oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1 pounds macaroni of your choice
Salt and pepper to taste
Celery salt- just a tidge
Prepare macaroni, rinse and set aside.
In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), sprinkle the hambuger with salt, pepper and celery salt and brown. In a separate pan, saute the onion in 2T butter until transparent. Add onion and butter to ground beef and continue to brown until you get some caramelized bits in the ground beef, which just gives it much more flavor. Add the stewed tomatoes and heat through.
Add macaroni to the hamburger mixture and make sure it is all thoroughly heated.
Serve with a nice, big salad and some crusty French bread.

8 comments:

Betty said...

I think this is just the thing for all the folks out there in cold weather! I even think it sounds great for those of us who aren't in the snow! Thanks.

whimseycreations said...

The recipe sounds delish!!! I'm going to have to try that one. We add some cheese, bake it for awhile, and call it Johnny Marzetti. But it sounds really good without the cheese too! I have to tell you my new meatball soup recipe. It takes about 20 minutes but tastes like it's been cooking all day. And so simple! Pour two boxes of chicken broth (I use Pacific organic free-range chicken broth) into a large pot. Bring it a simmer. Add one cup orzo pasta. Make meatballs from one pound lean ground beef, bison, sirloin or whatever you want, along with a dash of garlic salt, about a half cup chopped fresh spinach, half cup of crumbled goat cheese, and salt and pepper. I add a dash of oregano to mine too. Make one inch meatballs and drop them into the broth. Cook - stirring very gently a couple of times - for about 20 minutes. YUM!!! My new favorite soup! We're having it leftover for dinner in a few minutes and I can't wait.
Jill

whimseycreations said...

Oops, forgot to say an egg and about a half cup or so of breadcrumbs in the meatballs. Sorry! LOL
Jill

GardenGoose said...

hi Karin,
my granny used to make that too.
wanted to wish you and yours a lovely Merry Chriatmas!
hugs,
Tina and crew

Utah Grammie said...

Hmmm..sound great on a cold Utah evening!

Have a safe and warm tomorrow!

Maryjane - The Beehive Cottage said...

Thanks Karin! I have EVERYTHING to make this tonight! Thanks for the yummy recipe!!!

Merry christmas Karin!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Katie said...

We called it goulash -- made with the stewed tomatoes and a can of Campbell's condensed tomato soup, a half-can of milk, and the ground beef browned along with the chopped onion. My brother used to pile it on top of buttered white bread. Those were the days!

Jennifer Paganelli said...

Hi Karin....Love the pic of the Kitty that will make me happy all day!!!!!