Friday, November 21, 2008

WIPs and Flora's Toad-In-The-Hole

It has been as busy as Santa's workshop in my craft room lately. Paper clay has been molded into cute little snowmen, charm squares stitched together into a huge bag for the Smith Family Christmas Eve gift exchange, ribbons and bows now bedeck ordinary items making them look festive for the holidays. It is a beehive of activity and I am very happy.



This is one of the snow people. Isn't he cute? He's all glitzed up for Christmas with sparkly glitter and staying warm with his earmuffs.

This bag was made with Mary Engelbreit charm squares (7.99), a half yard of sale fabric (so long ago I don't remember, but not more than a dollar or two), a vintage button from my stash and some twill tape bought on clearance at Michael's for .99 the roll. I maybe used 1 foot which came to maybe 5 cents worth. Why all the amounts? Because we have a $10 limit on gifts. So, if I figure in what the tax would be on ten dollars, I came within the allotted amount and made something really cool as well.


How perfect will this be carrying a nice big picnic quilt? Or maybe laundry? Or beach towels? Or groceries?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I am going to choose my own gift bag. ;)
Now for Flora's toad-in-the-hole. When I get home in the afternoon, the girls are lined up at the door of their pen waiting to get out so they can forage. Usually they beeline right for the pile of leaves in a little woody area. Today was no exception and lucky Flora unearthed a toad right away. Oh, poor thing. Before the others knew what she had, she made hay and ran. Hazel spied her in her hurriedness and took off after her. Flora, not wanting a repeat of the snake misadventure, held onto the toad for dear life. Zigging and zagging through the yard, she managed to fend off Hazel, and now the other girls, who were in hot pursuit. At the last minute, Flora made an extraordinary move- she went right to the hen house. Bravo, Flora!! She is now dining on fresh toad. Gag.

2 comments:

Utah Grammie said...

So OK, ick.

I LOVE the bag! Oh my, and the snowman, too cute.

I'd be careful of the eggs from Miss Toad-breath..

:-)

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh my, Colleen has a point...will they be "toady"?? What a precious little snow guy Karin!!! And I always love your beautiful sewn projects ~ what a wonderful Christmas you all will have! Hope you are doing good dear friend, xxoo, Dawn