Saturday, November 8, 2008

Fresh From The Hen House

When Autumn comes, I break out one of my favorite breakfast recipes, Autumn Apple Omelette. It is a heavenly, decadent breakfast that can be eaten only once in a while.
Starting with three eggs, courtesy of Mavis, Flora and Blanche, I beat them well without addition of water or milk. Pure, eggy goodness is what is required here.




Choose a nice, crisp apple and cut it up into pieces, peel included-that's where a lot of the vitamins are. (This part of the recipe makes enough for two small omelettes.) In a sauté pan, place 1T butter and 1/4 cup water. Add the apples along with 2 T dark brown sugar, a pinch of ground clove, 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg , 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until apples are just fork tender and the liquid has formed a dark syrup that coats each piece like spicy silk.




Make your omelette, slide it out onto a pretty plate and slip the apple mixture inside one half and fold the other half over. Now here is were you can make any additions, like grated sharp cheddar cheese or, believe it or not, a tidge of peanut butter. Just not both together, ok?




Pour yourself a cold glass of milk, sit back and enjoy one of the yummiest, warming bites of comfort food you have ever eaten.
Speaking of comfort, I won a giveaway over at The Joy of Nesting, Pattie's blog. She sent me a lovely package of traditional Mexican fabric swatches, a beautiful patchwork bag, tiny flash cards that have the words in Spanish (so that I will now know what I am talking about) and a folk art cross.



I love each and every piece that came to me. Thank you so much, Pattie. They have sparked my imagination and I cannot wait to begin creating with such sweet gifts.

Now, go make an omelette!!

2 comments:

manker said...

a blessed omelette for sure.. :)
gp in montana

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

Baked apples and eggs....I can smell the apples cooking in the kitchen....