Monday, October 27, 2008

Over and Under.

Our drive to Lake of the Ozarks was full of beauty and wonder- wondering what we would find as we had not really heard anything about it before our trip. Silly us, we should have known that it would be a treat.




This is the view from the overlook on Thunder Mountain. We all gasped when we saw how the sun cast a pool of light on the lake.
A quick drive down a bit was the entrance to Bridal Cave. Now, I am not much for small spaces. I tend to be a somewhat claustrophobic in fact. But I do not mind entering a cave that, 1. I know someone has traversed before, and 2. that has lovely cement pathways and lights directing you in and out of the cave. Since Bridal Cave held all of those qualifications, we jumped at the chance to take the tour. Oh, how happy were we? It is stunning inside. Imagine having all of this beauty and splendor hidden underground!

This is actually the last view of the cave. The stream that runs underground appears to have no end. There are pieces of wood below the surface that have been there for decades. They were not brought in from the front of the cave where we entered, and no other opening has been found. Their presence here is a mystery that has yet to be solved. But not for the lack of trying.



This particular formation reminds me of the Art Nouveau style of trees. I want to quilt this one day.

Cave ribbons and a brilliant piece of cave onyx cascading below them.


The "Pipe Organ", a formation that has taken millions of years to develop. It is huge. I would venture a guess that it is thirty to forty feet in height and fifteen feet in width, each section a delicate fold of cave onyx.


Can you imagine what the first person thought as they entered into this cave and found all of this? I am so grateful that there are people brave and adventurous enough to see a small hole, slip through it and make the beauty that lies under the ground known to the rest of us. If it were up to me, we would never have any idea that there are miracles hidden below the surface of the earth. I'm just too chicken.

4 comments:

windycorner said...

Amazing photos....and trip. Love the photo from up high looking down on the lake. I don't know what it is about a view like that, but I wish I had a painting to put over my mantle of a lake view.
Holley

Utah Grammie said...

Oh what neat and "weird" photos! Caves scare me - now that's weird! Anyway, the way the sun is streaming on the lake through the clouds?! Perfection!!
Colleen

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So beautiful. And you are so correct about it looking like the Arts and Crafts trees!

Charlene said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Love the long formations.