Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Freedom Valley Farm, Kentucky.

Winding our way to Frannie's house, we only got lost once. Not bad, considering we had to read the directions in the reverse of what was printed as we took a little detour.
Coming down the hill of the drive, we were greeted with our first view of Frannie's home, and what a view it was! Isn't this beautiful? I could absolutely see myself living in a place like this.



Made up of small cabins, hooked together, Freedom Valley Farm (formerly Cabin Creek Farm) is a picture perfect spot in the hills of Kentucky.




The front porch, where the bounteous fruits and flora of Autumn decorate every nook and cranny. Everywhere we went there were beautiful porches like Frannie's, decorated with love and joy. There were many "Oooh!" and "Aaah!" moments as we drove through the countryside. I think I may have to change my idea of Autumn decorating from waiting until the leaves fall from the trees to cover my yard to something more festive, like this.

The old school house, which is now the guest cabin. It was closed for our visit because Frannie had filled it to the brim with things from her house. I really wanted to peek inside, but refrained. Begrudgingly.

The side of the workshop and a portion of the apple orchard, where we pitched our tent on the second night. (We slept inside Friday night.) I haven't slept in a tent since I was 5 or 6 years old. It was in the back yard of our house in Marshfield, and my brothers and I each thought it was the most exciting thing that we had ever done. I am not really sure when I decided that camping was not for me, but that mindset has stayed with me throughout my adult life. So, after 45 years of not sleeping in a tent, I relented and did so. I discovered that I have been missing out! You could not call what I did this past weekend camping, as there was access to a proper bathroom a hop, skip and a jump away, but it was heavenly.


Once I got warm, with two quilts over me, I slept like a rock. The sounds of the night lulled me to sleep, nature's lullaby being sung by owls, insects and coyotes. Yes, coyotes! At one point I heard them baying in the woods, and Frannie's dogs baying back a warning to stay away. I love those dogs.
Tomorrow I will take you on a tour of Greensburg, where we shopped (at 8:00 in the morning, no less!), toured the beautiful court house, gathered a gratitude rock and walked through history.
Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Blueball Mountain Spindle and Needle Works said...

Hi KaRIN! Glad you are home safe and sound. Thanks for helping to make this past weekend such a success. It was a joy meeting you!

Luna

Beehind Thyme said...

Oh...honey isn't it wonderful there in Freedom Valley... I wish I could have made it... I have been to several gatherings there... There isn't anyother treat that could come close to spending the weekend there w/ frannie.

Maybe next thyme I will get to meet you...

Blessings 2 you on this AuTuMn DaY, Pamela

Love your hens... someday I keep saying... Someday!!!

Utah Grammie said...

this looks sooo peaceful and the music is soothing to my ears and heart - thank you for sharing this with us!
colleen

Ada Mae said...

Didn't we have just the greatest time. Frannie's place is wonderful--so peaceful and restful.