Thursday, September 18, 2008

Whatever, Martha!

Did any of you, by chance, catch this show Tuesday night? I did, and how sorry am I?
Shown on the Fine Living Network, the premise has great potential - show vintage clips of early Martha Stewart programs and unabashedly mock them. Could be pretty darn funny, yes? No.
The hosts of the show are Alexis Stewart, Martha's daughter, and her friend, Jennifer Koppelman Hutt. They are beyond horrible. In their attempts to be witty and clever, they instead come off as shrewish and mean. Worse yet, they are Boring, capital intended.
Alexis Stewart is a consummate potty-mouth. One did not need to have a vivid imagination to know what the editors had bleeped out, mostly because they did a terrible job. If she were my daughter, I would have sat home and cried. And then written her out of the will.
I read that this show came about because the sale of Martha Stewart DVDs were slow (pretty much nil) and they had to find some way in which to market the vast library of all things pertaining to perfecting your home. It has the Martha stamp of approval. In fact, it was her idea. I wonder about her judgement.
The bits that I watched were painful at best. Full of snide, snippy, poorly thought out comments, sexual innuendo (why?), tales of a woeful childhood, throwing the f-word out like they were saying the word "Cat.", I cringed each time those girls opened their mouths.
If this show is to be what they intended, it needs a major overhaul. In fact, they need to start over. In the right hands, it could be hilarious.
Would anything make me watch Whatever, Martha! again? It's very doubtful.
Unless they hire the writing staff from Frasier, replace the hosts and apologize to us for thinking that we aren't smart enough for well-written, pun-laden, cerebral humor.
Think again.

4 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Ugh ~ I looked at the clips Karin ~ I can sum it all up in one word:

LAME

How does something like this deserve air time?? xxoo, Dawn

monix said...

Thanks for the warning! When it comes to UK, I'll give it a miss.

Utah Grammie said...

Ewww...didn't see it..don't want to. They say obceneity is the playground of an EMPTY mind!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I wondered if anyone else saw that! I couldn't watch more than a few minutes, and you are so right. It was beyond annoying. These two are quite grating. I don't know what they were thinking!