Thursday, September 4, 2008

Book Stores.

What is it about a book store that instantly makes you feel comfortable?
Could it be the row after row of books lined up like soldiers along the shelves? Is it the smell of paper wafting about you as you walk past them? Or is it the sight of crisp, clean pages nestled between the covers?
I love the feel of a new book, the scent, the neatly spaced rows of type expressing someone's thoughts and ideas. I love walking in between the aisles, my head tipped to the side, reading titles meant to draw you past to what is written in the pages. Sometimes they do, sometimes they do not.
I have a habit of visiting a book store once a week. Even if I am not there to buy, I go for a little peace and quiet. Solace, if you will. Calm pierces through the stress of the day and settles in for a nice, long visit.
But I have to say that, more often than not, I come home with a book. One that will take me to another place, full of adventure or lull me to sleep. My latest find? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and her grand-niece, Annie Barrows. It is a sweet little story, written in letter form, that tells the tale of the German occupation of the little island off the England coast, by the (fictitious) inhabitants themselves written to an author looking for material for her next book. I will not divulge too much, because you should really read it for yourselves.
You never know what treasure you may find sitting upon a shelf. And that is the wonder of a book store.

3 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Ahhh, I love them too Karin....when I walk in the door I always want to stop, take a deep breath in and inhale the coffee/new book smell ~ it's absolutely divine!!! I could stay for hours and hours...xxoo, Dawn

Utah Grammie said...

Bookstores are like Disneyland for me - I love them! And I love the FEEL of paper too. The smell, the feel, and the feelings you have reading them. I actually saw that book and thought about picking it up. I love the title. Must go and get it. I know lots of people like going to the library, but I want to hold it, to own it and to re-read anytime I want. Guess I'm a book snob. Oh well..
Have a funn day!
Colleen

JellyQ said...

I had hoped the Pie Scoiety would be good. I am on the waiting list at the library. I have taken a book buying sabatical, but should go just to drool.