Monday, September 29, 2008

Baking Bliss.

Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorite Fall foods. Crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, they are a perfect afternoon snack with a glass of ice cold milk.



This morning I ground some wheat to make whole wheat flour to put in the cookies. It gives them a lovely, nutty flavor. Mixing all the ingredients together, it was all I could do not to eat the bowl of raw dough! Honestly, what a silly thing for me to want to do when the baked cookies are so much better.


Now, that is cookie bliss. Three perfectly baked rounds of yumminess, ready to ward of afternoon hunger pangs.


I use the Quaker Oatmeal Cookie recipe, with a few alterations. I use half and half white and whole wheat flour and, since I like my cookies plain, I do not add the spices. I think it allows the flavors of the butter, brown sugar and oats to come singing through. Really, why would you want to cover those up?

I'm sharing the recipe, just in case you want to experience some baking bliss of your own.

Quaker's Best Oatmeal Cookies, Karin's Way:
Makes 3 dozen, on the nose
1-1/4 cups softened butter. Not margarine, please.
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg (mine came from Pearl)
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups oats
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars . Add egg and vanilla. Mix together well.
Add in the flours, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
Add oats and mix all together well.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-9 minutes for chewy cookies, 10-11 minutes for a crisper cookie.
Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute (give or take) before placing on cooling rack.
Choose a pretty plate, select your cookies, pour a glass of milk and enjoy your homemade afternoon snack. Or dinner. Or breakfast. Or lunch, Or dessert....
Excuse me, I have to go eat some more.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I love oatmeal cookies! Have been craving them for the last week, though have not baked any just yet. When I do, I think I will use your recipe and then add some raisins. (I am a raisin kinda gal.) And with oatmeal, whole wheat, and raisins, aren't such cookies health-food?

Aunt Jenny said...

My very favorite cookie!! I am drooling now!!!
I just love your blog!!

Utah Grammie said...

They look and sound wonderful! I have never thought to bake them without all the spices, but it makes sense - I love the flavor of oats and brown sugar- what could be better! I will definately try these - thank you and thank Pearl!
Colleen

The Feathered Nest said...

Yummmm, I bet they were delish! Your chickens looks so beautiful...if a chicken can be beautiful :) ~ hope you have a wonderful day sweetie, xxoo, Dawn

Dana said...

I have been craving oatmeal cookies. These look yummy!

ga.farmwoman said...

Ohhh my! I will have to make oatmeal cookies now. They look delicious.
Thanks for the recipe.

Pink Slippers said...

How funny--I have a daughter named Pearl and have always loved Jude for a boy. hehe! Wendy